Chapter 29

Malcom

It's not supposed to be like this. He said he wouldn't hurt Aria. But when he called me and I started opening the shackles, I had to fight the tears that were pooling in the corner of my eyes. It's not supposed to be like this.

I didn't dare look at Vara. I still don't. Instead, I focus on Aria. On those deep gashes. Every muscle in my body is trembling with anger – and the will to do something. To help.

Two and a half years ago, I fled from my home on the continent. I didn't fit in there. I was different. Somehow, I managed to get around – living in the forest and snatching food from people's garbage. It wasn't an easy time but I didn't mind. A few men took pity on me and offered me work: fishing, chopping wood, construction, and so on and so on. Even though I was only an inexperienced 22 year-old back then, I did the best I could and, after a few months, I had gathered enough money to finally be able to leave. It was pure coincidence that I landed upon a ship that would take me far north, into the cold, all the way to the Archipelago. There, my life (again) consisted of taking small jobs. I am not proud of it but, one day, a few men approached me – they were tall and strong and different from the other Vikings I'd met – and offered me work. As it turned out, they were dragon hunters. Despite hating to be helping them, I couldn't deny the money it brought me. Every day we hunted for dragons – catching them for dragon fights which we held to attract numerous investors. Throughout those one and a half years of working for the dragon hunters, I never met the man at the top. One day, I was told to catch another dragon - not very different from the rest of my days. They told me it was a Rockstomper with scales so vibrantly orange and brown, it could be mistaken for fire - though I compared it to the variety of colours of autumn. I did not expect this dragon to outsmart me and I realised that dragons are actually smart and emotionally intelligent creatures. I decided to let the dragon be and never hunt another dragon again. I tried telling Grimmel that when I approached him for the first time. I did not expect us to start talking about my youth and work as a dragon hunter. A sort of friendship began and we talked every evening in his cabin. But I never told him about that Rockstomper. 

I hadn't found a way to escape the dragon hunters' yet, so whenever I was assigned the task to take care of the dragons after the dragon fights, I gladly took it. Not long after that decision, a certain autumn-coloured Rockstomper entered the arena. He lost and was heavily wounded, so I tended to him like all the other dragons. Nobody complained that I chose to do this and I realised I just couldn't let those dragons...suffer all alone in their cages. The Rockstomper and I befriended each other. I didn't know much about his species back then – the only thing I knew from having seen other specimens was that this particular individual was different. Like me. He was much more playful and...softer. So, I helped him gather his strength and trained him as much as I could as a newbie dragon trainer. I will never forget that moment when he was fighting a giant Timberjack – a dragon way too large to be a fair opponent. All of a sudden, the Rockstomper's wings and tail caught fire, and with a giant roar he released a giant fireball. It hit the Timberjack strongly but I noticed he didn't intent to kill its opponent. The audience was too amazed by the Rockstomper's abilities to be disappointed in that. I named him Fireblaster, officially calling him my dragon.

Gossip spreads fast in the dragon hunters' circles, which is why I finally was introduced to Grimmel – the man at the top. He was fascinated with this new friendship I built. He hired me as his spy. I gladly accepted, appreciating the freedom and the time I get to spend with Fireblaster. I was happy with my life, as far as I could be. I didn't want things to change. But...

I finally raise my eyes, catching her staring sorrowfully at her dragon. But I met her.

A roar snaps me out of the memories. Toothless, in his full alpha glory, is standing protectively in front of Hiccup and the rest of the gang. His stare is fixated on Grimmel, smoke flaring out of his nostrils and a dangerous growl emerging from deep within his throat.