Chapter 44

Heather

Nervously, I pace around the front of the dark hut. There are no lit lights inside, but I know she's in there because I've been waiting behind that tree for a creepy amount of time. But I need to talk to her. And I know she wants to speak to me as well. Maybe she's as nervous as I am. But thinking back to how she has been avoiding me ever since that kiss...

Perhaps she's been keeping her distance because she's appalled. The thought stings.

Hiccup and his friends took me in when they found me. I remember when Snotlout found me. All of Berk took me in and, although sceptical and distrusting, they looked after me. It pained me to betray them but I had no choice since Alvin held my parents captive. At the end, I helped the Berkians and they helped me. It was the rocky start of a friendship. And I deeply remember who had the most impact on me.

Astrid.

I have come to know the blonde as a resourceful, headstrong, and loyal warrior who puts up a stone shield around herself to be strong enough to protect not only her friends but also herself. I realised not along ago that Astrid had always been there for me in one way or another. Sure, at the beginning she distrusted me. She even tried to get rid off me. But not soon after, I felt...connected to her. After every fight we went through together, every battle, every problematic situation we solved together, I knew we were building a lifelong friendship. But maybe-

Maybe it isn't just friendship.

At least, that's what has been nagging me since that kiss.

Did I misinterpret that deep connection for friendship between two like-minded women? Is it more than that? Do I...do I want it to be more than that?

I can't help but try to control my breathing. I am panting like a dog and I am certain everyone on this island can hear my heart beating like a pathetic, anxious teenager.

Suddenly, the door to that pitch-black hut opens. "Who's there?"

I smile at the sight of Astrid pacing forward, her axe steady in both hands. A warrior incarnate.

My voice is slightly off-key but I steady myself anyway. It is now or never. "It's me, H-Heather."

In a slow motion, Astrid lowers her shoulders and axe. Her entire body posture relaxes but the sparse moonlight reveals the nervous flicker of her eyes. It eases my own thoughts to see that she's on edge, too.

"Oh," she says and clears her throat. All of the sudden, she isn't the warrior anymore, but merely a girl standing in front of me, swinging her axe slightly back and forth just to be able to do something. "Hey."

"Hi," I reply and offer a tentative smile. She reciprocates the gesture and that gives me enough confidence to step a little closer.

I cross my arms. De-cross them. Cross them. De-cross them. Try to hold one arm with the other. Then the other.

By Thor, I have never felt this tense before.

"I think we-", I begin but Astrid interrupts me.

"Yes, we do. I think so, too."

Her lopsided grin makes me giggle a little. I open my mouth to be direct about the way I am feeling. Or at least the chaos of emotions I am experiencing.

"GUYS! GUUYYS!!"

It's Fishlegs who comes jogging towards us, panting heavily, and sweat drops pool at the side of his head. He reaches us eventually, leans down and places his hands atop his knees to catch his breath. After a few moments, he is still holding his head down, breathing and breathing, whilst pinching his eyes shut. He holds up one finger. So, patiently, Astrid and I wait. Meanwhile, I fidget with the hem of my skirt. I am reminded of the fact that I am standing in front of the hut of a potential love interest, in the middle of the night, with my ex right next to me. What if he's here to stop this? What if he knows?

Finally, he throws his head up and grins. He is grinning. Like a lunatic. I don't know how I can describe it any better than that. He has lost his mind. The idiot has finally joined the side of the delusional.

"It's real," he announces out of breath.

Astrid and I exchange a look.

"You know, some people like to sleep at night. What are you guys screaming about?" Snotlout's voice rings out from out of the dark.

"Yeah, if somebody is being killed, please call us before because we'd love to be the dedicated audience," Tuffnut's raspy voice joins in. Her brother agrees with an enthusiastic "YES!".

Silently, and with questioning looks, even Hiccup and Vara are joining this spontaneous group gathering now. Where did they all come from? This is not what I had planned...but now I am too intrigued in what Fishlegs has to say, to care about any of that. The right time will come when I get to ask Astrid what has been messing with my thoughts and heart.

"Okay, okay, everybody, calm down," Hiccup proclaims with his typical calm chief voice and holds up his hands in an appeasing manner. That is when I notice that the narrow line of the horizon is enlightened by the already rising sun. How long have I been pacing in front of Astrid's hut? I feel embarrassed and wish I could jump into a hole that would swallow me whole.

"Yeah, what is this yelling about? You're waking up the entire island," Vara asks sleepily. She rubs her eyes with the back of her hand and I can tell she was just about to head to bed. For whatever reason, I am reminded that her hut is still not finished. And maybe she did not want to be alone, which is why she headed this way. Gods, what if she had found me standing here like a creepy stalker? That would have been awkward, I think to myself and almost laugh. Maybe I am a lunatic, too.

Fishlegs, his eyes feverish with craziness, looks around at each and every one of us. Excited and with precise emphasis on every single world, he finally stands up straight and declares, "It's real. The Lycanwing is real."

Say what now?