Chapter 22

Vara

"Looks like we can go home. The storm is gone," Hiccup's voice is as full of emotion as a brick of stone. My back is turned to him, just like the entire night, so he wouldn't see that I've been awake. I couldn't sleep after admitting to him that I won't be staying on New Berk after this Grimmel-drama is sorted out. For the first time in my life, I felt torn.

Should I stay...or go?

I can feel Hiccup shift next to me to stand up and I hear the clink of his prosthetic leg as he walks towards the (finally) dry clothes. He leaves the cave without saying another word, Toothless trailing behind him after sending me a confused glance. Aria nudges my hand with her snout and I smile softly at her. I decide to get dressed, too, and go outside. Out on the horizon, I can see a black shape rapidly decreasing in size. I scoff and shake my head in disbelief. I can't believe he just took off.

Aria croons lowly and watches me intently. I pet her reassuringly. With a sigh, I get on her back and we fly back to New Berk.

Snotlout

"Where-"

SMACK

"the-"

SMACK

"hell-"

SMACK

"have-"

SMACK

"you been?!"

Astrid punches Hiccup's shoulder, her face contorted with rage now that Hiccup and Vara are back and unharmed.

"Ow??!!" Hiccup rubs his arm and puts some distance between him and the angry woman whose nostrils are flaring like an angry yak.

Astrid's arms move wildly through the air as she yells, "We thought we lost you in the storm!"

I admit, Astrid can be quite emotional but this time I agree with her. Blizzards are no rarity here but the one yesterday could have knocked a Typhoomerang off its feet. So, when Gustav saw the pair arrive on New Berk's platform, everyone beamed with relief to have the chief and Vara back. I mean, I couldn't care less...but I'm not...not happy to have them back.

Hiccup and Astrid are currently in the middle of an argument about Hiccup's carelessness that could have gotten him killed and, therefore, could have rendered the village vulnerable. But Hiccup simply rolls his eyes and ignores her as he walks away. They've been fighting a lot lately, I guess he got used to it.

The crowd seems to have calmed down. I spot Vara standing near the woods, smiling politely as the last few people shake her hand, grateful to have her and her dragon back. In the short amount of time she's been with us, she's conquered many hearts. Including mine, but I'd never say that out loud. It would unnecessarily boost her ego and she'd make fun of me for the rest of my life.

But to my very own astonishment, my arms don't listen to my head. I walk over to her and she smiles more sincerely now. I throw my arms around her and embrace her tightly.

"You had me worried there for a second," I say muffled against her head.

A slight chuckle shakes her shoulders. "Just wanted to see if you'd care."

Now, we're both laughing. After I release her from my death hold, we make our way to the village's centre to chat about her little adventure. She tells me that she and Hiccup were going for a flight after unsuccessfully trying to feed the light fury female. The storm hit them unexpectedly and they fled to the nearest island, where they found a cave to seek shelter in until the weather turned friendly again.