11 | Fairy Lights and a Secret Message

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

As I make my way back to the main event I notice a fair few people already starting to take their seats at their assigned tables.

I weave through the table searching for the name Marino. There are several different-sized tables and I happen to come across the sign that says Marino, but by just looking at the table size it's far too big for just our group.

I flip the sign over.

Of fucking course.

On the other side of the sign, it's written, De Luca. I take a seat closest to me and wait for the others to join.

After sitting for about 3 minutes Marcello takes a seat to the left of me and smiles warmly before taking a sip from the glass of wine in his hand. Soon everyone has sat down, except for 1.

Lorenzo.

There's no particular order as to how everyone is sitting, but Riccardo did have to have a fight with Daniella about who got to sit next to my sister who was sitting on my right.

Daniella won so Riccardo opted for the next best thing and sat on the other side of Daniella.

However, the seat across from me is free.

Coincidence?

"Has anyone seen Lorenzo?" Riccardo questions the whole table. Everyone shakes their heads but me. I look to my right and see Alessia smiling at me as if she knows that I just kneed him in the dick. And I'd happily do it again.

After about 10 minutes of sitting and conversing with the people around us, the movement across from the table distracts me from my conversation with Marcello. Lorenzo takes his seat, his eyes not leaving me once. He looks at me with an unreadable expression. I don't know if he's turned on by my actions of hurting him where the sun don't shine, or if he's angry for that very same reason.

Eventually, a long line of waiters and waitresses pour from one of the doors leading into the house, carrying copious trays of food and placing them in front of everyone.

Throughout the dinner, I make conversation with almost everyone but one. Lorenzo. Instead, he opted for the decision of just staring at me whenever someone wasn't talking to him.

But then when I think about it I don't think he was even looking at the person talking to him if he was in a conversation.

"So Aria, how long are you planning on staying in Milan?" Giana grabs my attention. She is sitting next to Riccardo and my Mother is on the other side of her. "I know your Father usually likes to have you handy." She states sympathetically, but I ignore her tone and try not to react at the mention of him. I look up at Lorenzo and see his knuckles turning white around his glass.