50 | A Snowy Forest and A Burning Building

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

Two days later

I woke up before Enzo this morning. I got ready for the day as quietly as I could and went downstairs to make myself some breakfast. It wasn't long before I heard Enzo get up and walk straight to his office.

The sound of the wooden door closing behind him echoes through the house. I take a sip of my juice as I watch the sunrise over the backyard.

Daniella's been staying over at Dom's ever since she and Enzo had their little outburst during dinner and Alessia is god knows where. The faint chirping of birds is muffled by the tinted glass of the patio doors.

I finish my juice and rinse out the glass in the sink before making my way into the lounge room. I turn on Netflix and flick through the shows until I find one that seems bearable for my mood.

Hours pass, the sun is starting to set and I'm only through the first season when I hear Enzo's office door open again. I listen as he walks down the hallway and through another door before closing it behind him. I assume he's gone into our room because I hear the pipes turn on and the faint noise of a shower running competes with the sound of the TV.

It doesn't take long for him to finish in the shower. I can hear him shuffling through the drawers and the closet, getting ready to leave. Dread sets in my gut as reality hits me. He really is leaving.

I wrap my arms around my belly and try to assure myself that everything is going to be okay. I shut off the TV, not wanting to hear the voices of the characters anymore or the music in the background.

His footfalls echo through the house as he walks down the stairs. I watch in the reflection of the TV screen as he stops in the foyer and turns towards me.

"I have to go."

That's all he says. The longest sentence he's said to me in the past two days. His voice was quiet and strained. But also tired. He's dealing with my issues and it's taken a toll on him.

"I'll see you soon, Sweet Cheeks." My throat closes up and I tear my eyes away from the screen. His words make my heart ache but when he closes the door to the garage, my heart breaks.

I seem to go into auto mode. I get up from the couch and walk upstairs and into our bedroom. I reach the closet and grab out my tight but thick black long-sleeve midi dress. I throw my hair up into a ponytail and grab a long wool trench coat from the closet as well. I try my absolute best to pull on my combat boots and make my way back down the stairs.

Grabbing the keys to one of the SUVs with snow tyres, I walk into the garage. I make a detour and head for the armoury. I know for a damn fact that Albert will be there by himself. He's too stupid to walk around with bodyguards hanging off him. I grab a Glock off the wall and grab a spare round just in case.