49 | A Message from the Enemy

✦•······················•✦•······················•✦

"So what are you planning on doing?" Jen's red hair sits loosely on her head and shifts further down the back of her head the more she moves.

"He gave me a location." My husband rubs his face roughly with both of his hands. His tired eyes look down at me for a brief second before he turns to look at Jen. "It's about an hour north out of town. Some abandoned warehouse."

Enzo was up all night making phone calls and arranging meetings. Adam, who was supposed to start on Monday, now sits with wide eyes at the very end of the table next to Kayla.

"May I just interrupt really quick?" Adam speaks up. "So there's a man who wants to kill you and the man is your wife's father?"

"Actually there are two men and their whole mafia wanting him dead and that man is no longer my father," I reply solemnly. My baby girl kicks softly in my belly. I gently run my hands over my swollen stomach and try not to think about how there's a possibility that my husband could be dead at the end of the month.

"Aria?" Enzo says softly. I look up at the man next to me and offer him a small smile, hoping that the smile will calm my nerves. It does quite the opposite and emotion starts to clog my throat. "Don't think about it, my love. You're not rid of me yet."

Yet.

One of his large hands moves to play with the hair at the base of my neck, trying to comfort me. My hand falls into his lap and I fiddle with his suit jacket. I try my best to push the emotion down, but it seems to rise even more. I feel tears start to brim my eyes.

Dom is mid-sentence when I quietly stand from the cushioned seat in the meeting room, grab my bag and leave. I take the elevator down to the lobby of the office building and step out onto the busy street.

I take a few deep breaths before I take a seat on one of the benches just outside the building. Only a few tears fall down my cheeks but I quickly wipe them away and tell myself to pull it together.

I don't know how long I was sitting by myself, watching the people walking to their jobs or the people in cars with acute road rage. A person sits down next to me and when I turn my head, I look up to meet Enzo's grey eyes.

"I'm being stupid, I know," I mumble before leaning my head against his shoulder.

"You're not being stupid Aria. You have every right to feel upset and worried. But you don't need to worry about me, Sweet Cheeks." He wraps an arm tightly around my waist and draws me closer to him.

"Is it bad that I want to go with you?" I sniffle, still watching the street. "That I want to go with you up north?"

He laughs quietly and places a kiss on the top of my head. "Even if I would allow you to come, you're about to give birth any minute my love."