Chapter 1

(Sorry in advance for any wrong terminology, I'm not American.)

It is Monday morning and your trusty but annoying alarm clock rings beside your bed. You feel around for it in the darkness until you feel a cold, hard, chunk of metal clanging loudly against the wood of your bedside table.
"...Sheesus." You groan, switching it off.
"Y/N! Join us for breakfast and then get to school! You're gonna be late!" Your mother shouts from the kitchen.

Stretching as you sit up, your senses are filled with the delicious scent of sizzling bacon and eggs.
Your favourite.
It was a warm, tasty start to the day. Better than luke-warm waffles to snatch up on the go which was an often occurrence since you have the tendency to be late almost always.
You hadn't always had this tendency though. Steve was your ride or die, literally, before he graduated with Nancy and Robin. He would pick you up everyday with whoever else could fit in his lady-mobile, as he liked to call it. Now, you put on some headphones, blast your favourite Hall & Oats song and walk. Sometimes skate.

After showering and hurriedly getting dressed, finally your eyes are met with the greasiest of breakfasts. The sight itself, made your tummy rumble and your mouth water.
"Thanks mom." You smile as you pull a seat out. Your father playfully ruffles a hand through your hair as he walks past in his dapper work suit.
"Don't be late today, kiddo."
"I'll try but you know I can't make any promises."
"Well try a little harder, okay? The school called me and said you've been arriving later than usual." Your mother pipes in.
"It's just a little hard without-"
"Steve. I know." Your father interrupts, "I know I've been caught up in my work but...anybody but Steve 'the hair' Harrington, please."
"Oh. You know about that?" You giggle.
"Of course I do, he's the run of the town and that's exactly why I don't like him around my daughter."

You begin to quietly laugh to yourself, unable to help but find your fathers seriously off the mark take about Steve nothing short of humorous.
"Right." You scoff.
"I'm off to work now." He says, "Make sure you get to school."
"I always do." You chime.
"I mean on time."

After a refreshing walk to school, the sound of students shouting through the hallways almost instantly overtake the music in your headphones. So naturally, you reach down for your tape deck, turning it up a notch.

Everything around you now was a blur, only the unimportant figures of strangers walk by as you pay no attention to them and rather at your music instead. Every beat putting a pep in your step.

"-Y/N!"

"Y/N, hey!"

An abrupt hand interrupts your daze as it confidently grasps your shoulder, spinning your body around entirely.
"Hellooo~?"
Your eyes visibly light up at the sight of Dustin and Mike standing in front of you. Ones smile more apparent than the other.
"Dustin! And..Mike?" You cautiously ask, "What's wrong with him?"
"Lucas." Dustin points to the basketball team across the hall, "He's been completely infatuated with his stupid game."
"Infatuated? No, he's ditching us." Mike remarks, "All for what? To fit in? Screw that."

You stare through the blur of passing students at Lucas. He seemed happy with his new groupies but not genuinely. Maybe Mike has a point.
As you keep watching him, you notice something or somebody catches his eyes. For the first time, he's actually looking away from his hoard of jerks towards something else.
Something fiery.

It was Max.

She had her headphones with her as well, which was nothing new.
She's shut herself away from the world since Billy. Nobody blames her; but you do really miss her.

"She'll talk to us when the times right." Dustin says.
"I hope so." You mutter, hopelessly.
"Pfft- her and Lucas were made for each other."
"Don't say that, Mike." You say, "She's going through a hard time as it is, not to mention having to take care of her mom at home. It should be the other way around, you know."
"Yeah, I know." Mike sighs in defeat.
The trio fell silent as you reminisce about the good old days and try to look forward to the new ones to come. What will be, where you'll end up, what Eleven and Will are up to right now and if Hawkins is really safe from those...monsters.
Your blood curdles at the memory and you try to convince yourself that it's silly to worry, but you weren't the only one, either. Everybody was thinking the same thing, but nobody wanted to bring it up. Not yet at least.

"Cheer up, you two!" Dustin says as he throws an arm around Mikes shoulder and the other around yours, "We've got an assembly in gym hall, let's go!"