Chapter 20

Eddie stays crouched over his knees as he turns his head to the side where you were sleeping to see you stretching your arms out high above you.
"Good morning, sleeping beauty." Eddie says, playing with another small rock between his fingers before tossing it across the dirt.
"Mornin'!" You yawn.
"Actually, I can't even really be sure if it is morning anymore but, well...my words still stand."
"Hm?"
Eddie holds his watch up as he flashes a half-assed smile. "It's broken."
"Wow, shocker." You giggle, "-but I was more confused about the last bit of what you said."
"Oh," He clears his throat, "I just mean that I meant what I said...Sleeping beauty." He says with a shy smile. While it made your cheeks grow rosy, it also made you laugh.
"I probably snored like a bear, huh?"
"I wouldn't know, I kinda fell asleep." He admits.
"Yeah, I know!" You laugh, again. Eddie flinches his body away from you when you pick up a small rock from somewhere in between the leafs and throwing it at him, playfully. It hit his arm with success, but pitifully.

Eddie was glad that you didn't seem to mind him falling asleep but it made him wonder.
He wondered now if you were awake when you decided to snuggle close against him, when initially, he assumed you did it in your sleep.

Eddie noticeably succumbs to his usual train of thought with a hand to his lips until he feels something soft and warm hit his side.
Catching it before it drops, he sees that it's his jacket.
"Thanks...by the way."
"Yeah? For what?" He asks.
"For the jacket, duh." You tease.
"You can keep it on, if you like? I really don't mind and honestly, you look so much better than me in it."
"I find that really hard to believe, Eddie."
You and him exchange another long and tender stare, no words, only emotions spoken through the eyes. Eddies looked as if he wanted you to say something. Something to make his day, whatever that may be, he yearned for it.
And yours, mirrored his.

*snap!*

Eddie quickly stands up, making his way to in front of you where he held his arm out, protectively.
The both of you stand in silence, eyes scanning the bushes and trees for any movement at all, anything.
"Finally! See! I told you Henderson, I'm the creator of this here spot."
Eddies arms eases down when he sees his small friend between the trees, accompanied by the usual gang and- "Lucas?"
"Y/N! You're okay!"
"Where the hell have you been?!" You add, letting Lucas embrace you.
"God, I thought we lost you." Dustin says to Eddie while Eddie only sighs. Not as enthusiastic as everybody else seemed to be, rightfully so after what he experienced only several hours ago. That, and he couldn't help but feel a little jealous of the boy who's arms you had just jumped into.
"They're really hot on your tail now, dude." Steve says, after noticing Eddies eyes on you and Lucas.
"Thats why we gotta clear your name, ASAP!" Max adds, "Any ideas?"
The group fell silent again as they all looked at each other for answers, apparently at a loss for any resolution until Dustin pipes up. Nonsense at first, but it eventually made a whole lot more sense than you ever would've thought Dustin to be capable of.
"Ah-ha! I was right! Skull rock was north!"
"Come on dude. Even staring me dead in the eye after I so clearly just proved you wrong, you can't admit you messed up." Steve shakes his head.
"But I wasn't! Lucas, do you remember what happened when Will went to the upside down? To my compass near the compound?" Dustin asks.
"Yeah, like some magnetic confusion but we aren't near the compound."
"No, but! There could be a gate." Dustin begins to jump on the spot out of pure excitement as he watches every single one of your faces click with the realisation.
"There's a gate at every place of death..." Max says to herself, "...Lovers Lake..."
"Holy shit, Dustin! You're right!"
"Mhm! Mhm!"
"I don't wanna burst your bubble but we have two people here that are wanted for murder." Steve interrupts, "We can't exactly just go for a hike in the woods."

All eyes were on you and Eddie now. You look at Eddie for an answer and he looks at you, too. Both of you taking each other's feelings into consideration before concluding with an answer. You angle your head to the side with fond eyes as if to say 'why not?'  Which then led Eddie to give in to the idea.
"Steve's right, it wouldn't exactly be the smartest idea but..." Eddie keeps his gaze on you as he speaks, "why not, right?"
You smile.
"For Mordor!" Dustin adds.
"Mordor!" Eddie starts now, as well.
Before starting on the brand new adventure, Eddie smiles hard and slides his hand into yours, tugging you closer towards him as he begins to follow Dustin.

"What the hell is Mordor?"