Chapter 22

You look out on the water as Steve slowly paddles.

You hoped it wasn't true, that there was an increasing chance of there being a gate beneath the very boat you sit in, but Nancy's excitement at the spazzing compass in her lap pretty much set your worry in stone.
"Right here!" She shouts, "It should be right below us, now."
Steve looks over to see for himself. "Woah..."
He stands up, removing his shirt for the world to bare witness to his insane hair genes, not surprisingly limited to his head, but also his chest.
"Come on, now..." Eddie says as he covers your eyes.
"Christ, Steve. You really need to tame that jungle." Robin says as she stares in awe.
"Steve, what're you doing?" Nancy asks.
"Somebodies gotta go down there and check this thing out. It's gotta be me, no complaints."
"Hey, I'm not complaining." Eddie mumbles.
As Steve proceeds to remove his shoes, You wrap his torch in a plastic bag, ultimately water proofing it.
"...good luck."
Steve nods and dives in, his body practically disappears into the dark void. If it wasn't for the torch he was holding, you would think he ironically teleported into another world.

The atmosphere in the boat was incredibly silent now, tense, even.
You and Eddie sat side by side on one end while Nancy and Robin sat opposite. Their eyes collectively taking notice of Eddie staring down at you, a light hearted smile forming on his face as you analyse his tattoos. Robin nudges Nancy in her side, motioning a nod towards the two of you lost in your own little worlds.
"They're so cute I could die." She whispers.
Eddies eyes then meet theirs as his head stays low. He didn't even need to hear their thoughts to know what they were thinking. Their urging faces and childish smirks spoke for them self.

The quietness of the night was interrupted when Steve finally surfaces again. It relieved you to see him okay and better yet, smiling.
"It's there!" He says as he wipes the water off his face, "It's down there, a baby gate!"
The lot of you cheer while Eddie holds a brotherly hand out for Steve to help him in the boat but before he could take it, something tugs him under again. He resurfaces quickly but his face was in a state of shock before once more, he's pulled back down.
Disappearing into the abyss.
"Steve!" You stand up, peering over the side of the boat but Eddie pulls you back into him without hesitation.
"Y/N, it's not safe! Stay away from the side!"
You stare back into Eddies eyes, his hand on your cheek, an attempt to centre you as your eyes pool with panic. Something that broke Eddie to see.
"Nancy?" You hear Robin mutter from behind Eddie. Both you and he break the stare to avert your attention over his shoulder to Nancy where shes unloading her stuff onto the boat floor, preparing to dive in after Steve.
"No, I don't think so." Eddie laughs nervously, "Wheeler, don't you dare."
Nancy jumps in and after Nancy, was Robin.
"Shit, shit, shit!" Eddie shouts.
You stand up too now, pushing past Eddie to sit on the edge of the boat; but before you could jump in, Eddie catches you.
"No. Not you, Y/N."
"Eddie-"
"Them, I can live without, but...not you."
You stare deeply into Eddies eyes, so different than the ones you were used to. He was scared, desperate.
You place a gentle hand on his cheek, deepening your gaze as you begin to speak and he instantly sinks into it, heeding your words carefully.
"Eddie, there's too much I have to say to you before I allow that to happen, so trust me." You say, "I'll be okay."
You could see in Eddies expression that he was at ease, now. Well, the most at ease he could get in this situation, at least.

So, preparing to depart, you lean forward, placing a soft kiss on his cheek before finally, his grip loosens enough to let you go, letting the dark and treacherous water engulf you. He didn't want to, but when it came down to it, it doesn't matter what he wants; as long as you're happy, he's happy. More or less.
"...Jesus Christ..."
He allows himself to dwell on what had just happened, memorising the sensation of your lips grazing against his skin before abruptly standing up. His swift movement severely rocked the boat which made his not-so 'dive' slightly easier to come to terms with as he just about, falls in.

Following the glow of a red light, so out of place in its dark corner of the lake, you find it.
The gate.