Chapter 5

You stare down at the ring cluttered hand on your sleeve, his fingers slightly twiddling the soft fabric between his index finger and thumb before slowly beginning to pull away again. Still, no apparent rush.
His hand slides into his lap where it rests for a few short moments, clearing his throat and then adjusting himself on the spot as if to release tension.

Eddie felt bad for his outburst.
He could tell by your now awkward posture that he made quite the impression, not a very welcoming one either. He didn't mean to, but anything associated with the school jerks makes his gears grind and as far as he was concerned, you were too good for them.

As everybody ate, including yourself, you could feel a pair of eyes on you. Too afraid to look up from your food, you only shrink under the feeling. Your shoulders visibly tense and you allow your hair to fall from your shoulders and into your face.
You were certain Eddie was about to say something to you after hearing him clear his throat for a second time and then sensing his body shift closer towards you but Mike spoke up, instead.
"Hey, uh- about hellfire club tonight..."
Eddies eyes look up to meet Mikes but his head stays low, "Yeah?...What about it?"
"Is there maybe, any chance we can post pone it to a later date or-"
"Post pone hellfire club? What're you talking about Wheeler?"
"Its just that Lucas has his championship game and well-" Dustin attempts to make a point.
"So? Get them to post pone, we don't post pone hellfire club, come on guys." Eddie finalises, lifting a spork full of food into his mouth without a care.
"Could always find a sub?" One of the others guys suggests.
Eddie nods enthusiastically, "Thats a good idea."
"Thats kind of tough cause you know-"
"Tough?" Eddie asks.
Dustin and Mike awkwardly laugh amongst each other, trying to lift the mood a little. "Well, you see, we're not exactly the most popular people in school so-"
"Do you remember when I first found you guys?" Eddie abruptly says, "You and Lucas were sitting at that table over there, miserable little worms and I, I picked you up like the little guys you were and welcomed you to hellfire club. Look around you, at all the small fry's. A million possibilities sitting right here in the cafeteria, alone." He says as he gestures at all the lonely kids and stranglers sitting around at empty tables.

Mike and Dustin go silent, exchanging a look of dire desperation as the other guys talk and chatter amongst them self. Mostly about hellfire club but also about possible fill ins for Lucas.
"What about you?" A soft voice says as you feel Eddies knee bump into yours underneath the table.
You look up to see him already looking at you, a small smile present in one corner of his lips.
"Me?"
"Yeah. You said you game, didn't you? I'm sure you'd pick up on it easily."
"I don't know...It seems really confusing..."
"It's okay, I can teach you the basics and if you need any help along the way, you'll have me right there with you." He says with a sweet smile.
"Humph," You giggle, "I'd only get in the way, trust me."
Eddie chuckles at your remark, happy that you started to show comfort in his presence again and glad that meant he didn't completely screw up.
"I doubt that, a lot."

You look up at him again, flashing him a smile and he does the same as his knee, still against yours, starts to bounce. Jittery with nerves as he keeps eye contact with you.
"Y/N, did Lucas invite you to his game, too?" Dustin asks from out of the blue.
"Hm?" You look up, "Oh!- yeah, of course he did."
"Are you...gonna go?"
You sigh at the reminder but you nod anyways.
"If nobody else will be there for him, I might as well be." You groan, unhappily.
"Admirable." Eddie sighs, pulling his leg back and resuming his food, showing zero interest in the topic at hand.

Suddenly, the bell rings and the cafeteria becomes a hollering mess as students make their way to their next posts.

Mike and Dustin stood up in a flash, running off in random directions. Probably to find a sub for Lucas. The other guys began to part as well and as for Eddie, he was the last to leave to the table, besides you. You noticed that as you got ready to head off, he would often give quick glances at you as if he had something he wanted to say,
but didn't.