Chapter 6

The rest of the school day was totally miserable. There was so much tension between the group because of the championship game that you found it hard to even look forward to it at all.
It felt like a chore more than anything now.

Mike and Dustin spent the entire day running around rampaging every classroom for some poor soul to sub for Lucas. Max spent whatever time she felt comfortable enough to speak to anybody, with the school councillor, and Chrissy? With Jason.
So, safe to say that today was a complete knock out and you needed a place to really just chill, to put the breaks on for a while, and what better place than your usual chill out spot?

You walk into a large forest of trees, fallen leaves crumbling beneath your every step while the wind blew graciously against your body, making you wrap your cardigan tighter around yourself.

Deep enough into the forest now, that nothing is heard but the wind in the tree tops as you come up to an old, wooden bench. That is, until something heavy began to rustle the leaves from behind you.
"Hey-"
Your heart jumps out of your chest at the startling voice, before turning around swiftly to face the person it belonged to.
"Eddie?!" You huff with fearful eyes tracing his own.
"Hey, hey, hey! It's just me." He laughs, "I didn't mean to scare you."
His smile fades into a worrisome face as he notices your chest still rising and falling with panicked breaths. "Hey, You okay?" He asks, concern written in his eyes.
"Sorry, yeah." You finally say, "You just scared me, that's all."

You huff in relief as you take your seat at the abandoned bench, and so does Eddie.
"I thought I was the only one who knew this place." He says.
"That makes two of us," You smile, "Why are you here, anyways?"
"Ouch." He says, grasping at his chest dramatically as if something pierced through his heart. It made you laugh, which made him smile.
"No! I mean-" You giggle, but Eddie doesn't let you continue your pleading.
"I know, I know what you meant." He says, "I just come here to get away, I guess. It's a cool spot."
You admire his face as his eyes innocently wonder to the trees above, the sun giving his eyes that much more of a sparkle than they had back at the cafeteria.
"And you?" He asks, flashing you another smile when he catches your stare.
Unsure if it was because you got caught staring or if it was that stupid, radiant smile but you felt butterflies fluttering through your chest the longer you looked into his eyes.
"Ten bucks it was my chill out spot first." You smirk.
"Oh yeah? That so?" He grins back, "Lift your arm up for a quick second."
You look up at him suspiciously but do as he says with no questions asked, lifting your arm slowly to reveal an etch in the wood that reads 'Eddie 84'.
"Shit." You mumble.
Eddie holds a hand out in front of you with the widest, most brightest smile you've ever seen.
"You did say ten bucks." He mentions, proudly.
You roll your eyes in defeat as you reach into your bag but in one swift motion, he pulls his hand away and takes a stand.
"Or! You could let me treat you to a milkshake, instead."

His proposal caught you off guard, making you blink away the wide eyed look on your face until a speechless, more flustered look replaced it.
"A uh- a milkshake? You? Drink milkshakes?" You stutter but begin to smile as you look his attire up and down, looking as if he would be the last person on earth who could ever be into milkshakes.
"Or we could share a 6 pack, if that's more your style." He says, picking at a tree with loose leafs.
You only smile at him in return, making him flustered now as he attempts to hide his rosy cheeks with his hair.
"Or not..." He mumbles, kicking rocks beneath his sneakers.
"No! I mean, yes! A milkshake doesn't sound bad at all, but...not tonight, of course."
"Right, You've got your little football fan club to go to and I have mine..." He smiles, lowly.
"Eddie..."
His name sounded so unusually sweet as it rolled off your tongue that he couldn't help but cherish it as it escaped your lips.
"Yeah?..."
"You know, you're not at all what I expected you to be like." You smile softly at him. He smiles too before nervously averting his gaze back to the dirt below where he stood.
"You mean mean and scary? Actually, I thought you were gonna be mean and scary, too." He says as he walks back to the table.
"Me?" You giggle, "But I thought you didn't know who I was until today?"
"Are you kidding me? Of course I knew who you were..." He says, shyly. "Everybody does."
"So why did you?-"
"Like I said, mean and scary." He says, although it wasn't entirely why.