Chapter 37

As you tread through the old Creel house, the broken floorboards creak beneath your every step. Max's face cringes as she tries her hardest to be quiet, looking over to you to see your expression matched hers.

You, Max and Lucas move from room to room holding blue lights. Steve picked them out while you waited in the van but you were pretty sure they were bug zappers. Any-who, the lights were a pretty brainy strategy thought up by Nancy, of course, to locate Vecna.

*Zzz-Vzz*

Your light begins to buzz as you walked up the stairs towards the attic.

Pulling out a flash card and a marker, you write something down as you make your way back to Lucas and Max who were still searching down stairs.

'Found him' It says, and they nod.

You slowly lead them up the stairs, where their lights began to buzz, too. Exchanging a look between each other, Lucas then pulls out a torch from his back pocket, flickering it out the window where Erica stood by the playground.

Bzzt!
"They've found him, he is in the attic. Awaiting permission to proceed, over." Erica says through the walkie-talkie.

Bzzt!
"Not yet, but good job over there."

Steve stuffs his radio back into his oversized jacket as he crouches down behind the fence of another house, watching from afar at the large, mass of darkness circling the mansion.
"That's a lot of bats..." Robin says, "Like, an alarming amount of bats, are we sure this is a good idea? Cause I'm totally down to forfeit."
"Once Dustin and Eddie give us the signal, the coast should be clear...I'm certain of it." Nancy says, staring up at the bat infested sky.

Meanwhile at Eddies trailer,
The windows were now barricaded in wood planks and metal cages from a torn down fence. Both Eddie and Dustin stand proudly and admire their work.
"You think this will be enough to hold them?" Dustin asks.
"More than enough, my funny little friend." Eddie smiles, "Don't underestimate my carpentry skills."
"Yes, sir."

Bzzt!
"Eddie, Dustin, you in position?"

Eddie sighs as he hesitates to confirm, but Dustins hand quickly finds itself on his back, consoling Eddie with a friendly smile.
"She'll be fine." Dustin says, being able to read him like an open book.
"...yeah, okay." Eddie nods, getting more aggressive with it as he tries to hype himself up and Dustin joins in.
"See! That's it! Now, for a distraction..." Dustin thinks out loud. He wonders deep in thought but not long before Eddies face visibly lights up.
"Oh-ho, i think I know exactly what would do the trick..." Eddie says with a mischievous grin, earning him a slow and curious smile from Dustin.
"Oh, Yeah?"
"Ohh, Yeah." Eddie flashes him a wide smile before walking off to his bedroom.
"Uh...Eddie? Where are you going? Don't leave me here, alone!" Dustin shouts but Eddie only freezes in the door frame. His eyes fixated on something across the room as his feet begin to slowly step towards it.
"There she is..." Eddie says, beholding the sight of his sweet six stringer, dressed in red and black. "It's like she was made for this world..."
Eddie reaches a hand out towards his guitar as he turns around to face Dustin behind him, smiling a most devilish smile and before he can even say a word, Dustin begins to nod.
"You ready for the most metal concert in the history of the world?"
"Is that a rhetorical question?"
"Let's do it."

After Eddie finished hooking up an amplifier on the roof of his trailer, Dustin sits front row and ready to roll as he pulls out his walkie-talkie, now.

Bzzt!
"We are in position, I repeat, we are in position." He says.

Bzzt!
"Alright, now!"

As Eddie begins the opening of his favourite Metallica song, Nancy, Robin and Steve all notice the bats starting to swarm higher up into the sky.
"Here we go~..." Steve says as he watches the bats break off, heading in the direction of a far away forest where they disappear into the fog.
"Go, go, go!"

Running into the unguarded house, Nancy raises her gun, aiming it down the hallway but there was nothing but vines. She looks over to Steve to see him pointing upwards.
"The attic." He whispers;
But before they could continue any further, a frightened shriek is heard from behind them.
"Guys?!" Robin begins to panic as the vines crawl up her ankles. She lifts her arms up above her waist line to avoid them getting entangled, too. But from the wall directly behind her, crept even more vines.
They grabbed at her legs, and her arms, pulling her into them as she struggled against the infested wall.
Nancy flipped her gun around, trying the hardest she could with what she had, hitting and jabbing at the vines around Robins wrists. Steve tried using the machete in his hand to slash at the vines but it was no match for the durable parasite, because now, all three were strung up on the walls by their limbs.

Back in the real Hawkins,
Max was under Vecnas spell.
Although, now that Max had fully succumbed to him, meant that it was harder for you to find an opening than before. It came naturally all the previous times because Max's perseverance acted as a type of satellite. But now, you really had to fight to be there.
You take her hand in yours, strengthening the bond and almost instantly, you were there.

You were still in the attic but to your side, was Max being shamed by Lucas for something she had said about Billy. That's how you knew you had made it, because that was anything but the Lucas you knew.
"Max!" You shout, "Don't listen to him!"
Confused, the illusion of Lucas turns around to look at you, only now, he was Vecna; and with heavy footing, he started to approach you, forcing you to retreat backwards against the flaky, decaying wood of the attic wall.
You stare like a deer to headlights at his hand reaching out towards you but before he could make the connection, Max rushes to your side, grabbing hold of your hand before everything around you started to dissolve into blue.

The snowball dance.

You had to hand it to her.
Picking a happy memory that you both shared, was the smartest move she could've made. If you hadn't gone to the ball that night, which you considered because you had no date, this would have never worked. It made you wonder.
"Phew," she sighs, "I'm glad that actually worked, now I'm 100% sure we'll be safe."
"It wasn't 100% before?!"
You and Max erupt into giggles, laughing together when suddenly, your body begins to faze in and out of the memory.
"Y/N?" Max says, but her voice was muffled.

"Come on, Erica."
Lucas tries to signal Erica from the second story window but receives nothing back. Assuming she was simply distracted, he gives up.
He sits down on a random wooden trunk in a corner of the room, watching over you and Max when something blood curdling echoes up the staircase, just outside the door.
"Sinclair!"