PROLOGUE

In our world, to get to the top means you have to shamelessly violate morals and ethics to get what you want without being perceived as a villain. You must suppress your dark side as you enrich it for people to not doubt your intentions. You can achieve your goals with or without the help of other individuals but it will be easier if you can have alliances.

How can I forget the things my favorite book of Christopher had taught me? It's impossible.

While my life in Stallion went on, there's a question that kept on running in my mind. 

How will you do that? How to be on top without being perceived as a villain?

There's a simple answer to that. You need a foolproof facade. Establishing a facade and a good image is the first step of a manipulator as they slowly enter your life without you noticing it.

Magugulat ka na lang na nakapasok na sila sa buhay mo na parang isang patagong lason na bigla na lang dumating at nasa harapan mo na. As a psychology student, I should know that. I observe and study human behavior for me not to easily fall into their trap but I still fell into her trap.

"Don't you think we're each other's destiny?" Tanong ng babaeng gumulo sa isipan ko habang prenteng nakaupo sa sofa na nasa harap ko.

Each other's destiny? I don't believe in such a thing yet it makes my heart flutter and run miles every time she asks me that question. However, the joy won't last long for it will be easily replaced by agony the moment realization hits me.

It's a bait. It's her trap. Her love is a game.

"I didn't know you believe in such thing as destiny, Miss." I simply uttered before facing the opposite direction to avoid her burning gazes.

"You're losing the game, Vren." She said, almost a whisper but enough for me to hear it and be reminded that I'm still her player and opponent.

Am I?

A small smile curved on my lips as another realization hit me once again. She's here because of the game and I played it to make her stay. I let her control my decisions so she will stay and I'm fighting back so she won't go away. I became competitive not to win but to hold onto her, not letting her slip away from my hidden grip.

I played her game to make her stay. What a foolish move I made there.

"It's okay, Miss." I answered while trying to convince her that I'm stating the truth through the tone of my voice.

Dahan-dahan akong pumihit paharap ulit sa kaniya para matapang na salubungin ang mga tingin nito.

"I concede. You won. It is proven now that you can manipulate anyone and I was wrong." I continued, flashing a smile made by those defeated.

"I thought you'll last long, Vren. Guess you're also like the others and there's nothing extraordinary to you." She said that made me nod for a couple of times.

Tuluyan akong umupo sa bakanteng couch na kaharap ng pwesto nito habang siya ay nakamasid lang sa bawat magiging galaw ko.

"I'm pulling my last piece now, Professor." Sambit ko na nagpakunot sa noo nito.

"Last piece?" Nagtatakang tanong niya na nagpangiti sa akin bago dahan-dahang tumango.

Isa-isa kong ibinalik sa dating pwesto ang mga chess pieces na nagpagulat sa kaniya at itinira ang king sa pwesto nito. This is my last piece. The king.

"What are you doing? Touch-move remember?" Pagpapaalala nito sa nag-iisang rule sa laro namin.

The touch-move rule. Once you touch a piece of her, you're not allowed to go back anymore.

Dahan-dahan kong inihiga ang King sa chess board kasabay ng pagbagsak ng isang mainit na likido mula sa mga mata ko. Rinig ko ang mga pagsinghap ng mga taong nanonood sa huling laban namin ng babaeng nasa harap ko.

Isa. Dalawa. Tatlo. Hindi ko na nabilang kung ilang hakbang na ba ang nagawa ko para makalayo.

I lost the game I love the most but I know to myself that it's not the reason why I'm crying. Losing a chess game does not pain me. It is losing her game because losing her game means losing her too.

I lost her.

______________________________

Hindi na masakit yung prologue ha? I'll start updating this one next week. I hope I'll see you here too! 🤍