Moment of Truth...

Tessa's Point of View..

I wake up at the sound of my alarm clock. As I stop my alarm, memories from last night come rushing in. The moment with my mother, Lucas's visit, and our conversation about the move. Me accepting his offer. Someone truly said that within seconds your life can change, and yesterday, my life did change.

I leave my bed to start my day. Now, that I have agreed to move with Lucas, I have to start packing my stuff. I was hoping this day will come 11 months later in my life when I will be packing for college but apparently, life is unpredictable and anything can happen. One moment you are planning to have a normal dinner with your mom and the other moment you come across a life-changing decision.

I love Luc, but I never thought that I will be leaving my home, my city, my school, and my other best friend, Ashley before college. I put a reminder on my phone to call her and inform her about the big move.

Once done with my morning routine, I open my wardrobe and bring out two large suitcases of mine to start my packing. I first take out my expensive outfits, by expensive I mean my fancy outfits, then my dresses that I used to wear at school, and finally my daily home wear clothes. I start to fold them in the proper pattern when someone knocks on my door.

"Come in, it's open," the door opens and my mother enters my bedroom.

"Hun, what are you doing?"

"Packing mom. Now, that I will be moving out and transferring schools with Lucas, I have to start packing."

"Hun, we got time for that."

"Mum why wait? You and I, both know that I will be moving out so it's better I start to pack. Plus, Lucas and his mother, are moving to North Carolina this Sunday, on Saturday they are shipping their luggage, I have to ship mine with them."

"Wow, you already planned all that by yourself."

I smile at my mother and continue to fold my clothes. I can feel my mother's blue eyes on me. I can feel her, knowing that she feels bad for informing me about our poor financial condition. Not being able to take the tension, I stop folding my clothes and grab a chair, to sit with my mother, facing her. She looks at me with her sad eyes and I can see tears in her eyes. I take her hand in mine and kiss her knuckles.

"Mum, don't feel bad. Look, I am not doing this because of our financial condition, ok."

"Please Josephine. I am your mother. You cannot lie to me. I tell you last night about our financial condition and the offer, Lucas's father has offered to us and now I see you packing your clothes."

"So, yes maybe our financial condition and the offer of Lucas's father have played a role in my decision, but, trust me, mom, I am doing this for Lucas. He has always been there for me and now that he needs me, I believe I should be there for him."

"By uprooting your life?"

"He is family, maa. You do anything for your family. Me moving to a different state is nothing. Trust me."

"What about your college?"

"What about my college?"

"Hun, you still dream to become a doctor, right?"

"Yes, maa, I still have my dreams about becoming an orthopedic surgeon alive."

"Good. Promise me, Jo, you will never give up on your dreams, and don't worry, I will see what I can do about our financial condition."

"Mom you have done more than enough. You have sacrificed your entire life for me. Now, from today onwards, I want you to start living your life, for yourself, not for others."