New Beginnings...

Jo's point of view.

8 months into the future...

Moving to California from North Carolina wasn't easy but I had to as I started my medical program at Stanford. My dream college. My dream that I almost forfeit for him. Him who shall not be named. He was everything to me just a few months ago but now just a memory of him seems like a foreign thought.

I was ready to give up Stanford for him, my childhood dream until he ended our relationship by brutally telling me how he did things behind my back and how he didn't deserve my sacrifices for him.

I remember that day like yesterday yet it was 2 months ago. How we kissed, how he wrapped his arms across my waist and hid his face in my blond curls, and how I held my breath when he trailed his hands underneath my tank top from my waist to my breasts, squeezing them in the process and letting me know his intentions at that moment. Everything changed when I showed him my acceptance letter from Duke out of excitement and out of pure misjudgment.

I felt his body going rigid behind my back, how he moved his hands away from my breasts and out of my tank top, how he removed his arms from my body, and how he quickly traced back, maintaining a distance between us that only grew as the day passed from afternoon to night, until he left me as a crying mess, all alone in the small apartment that we shared.

Yes. You all heard it right. We moved in together into a small one-bedroom apartment after graduation and just a few weeks before he started his early graduation program at Duke. Hero was selected at Duke on a basketball scholarship and because he was given a full graduation scholarship, he had to start his graduation program a little earlier than others. Before he moved, he asked me to join him and live with him until I started my graduation program. He had no idea that I was accepted at Duke and all he knew was that I was accepted at Stanford and that we would do a long-distance relationship. We did discuss colleges and from the start, we both knew Duke would be where he would be going when he asked me to move in with him, I applied for Duke hoping they would overlook my late application over my grades, which they did but little did I knew that my boyfriend would have different plans for us.

This explains me moving to California for Stanford. Luckily Lucas got into Stanford as well and we even shared a couple of classes given he would be mastering literature and me in medicine.

I just reached my room after finishing my last class when I got a message from my roommate-Kiara. She will be staying with her boyfriends tonight which means I will be spending the night alone. Usually, I would call Lucas to spend some time but he mentioned meeting his coach today and that they will be starting practice soon. Plus he has to walk from his dorm to mine after his practice and that would make him tired which I know won't be good.

Lucas and my plan was always to get an apartment outside the college campus along with Ashley but for some reason, Ashley was waitlisted until spring and that would mean Lucas and I would have to share the rent between the two of us and that wasn't something we could afford. So the idea of getting an apartment was postponed till Spring. Plus living in a Dorm saves money.

My roommate is amazing. She is a senior and she is from India. Her boyfriend is also in the same medical program as hers and they have been dating each other since high school. Her boyfriend Sid has his apartment and Kiara often stays the night at his place. She is funny, confident, and super beautiful. She was there for me when I initially moved to California and helped me with the settling process. She helped me with her detailed notes from her first year of graduation and also personally introduced me to all of our professors. Everyone in our department loves her. Sid is an amazing guy too. Looking at them, you would know that they love each other very much.
I wished that someday I would have what they have. I was certain what I had with Hero was very much what Kiara and Sid had but I was wrong.