Chapter 9: A new feeling

Alea POV

When I met Arthur and the others, I never thought this would happen, but... Just after everyone introduced themselves the red-haired man called Adam came up to me and started telling me stories of their adventures. I found it interesting that this small team went through so much, but something felt weird even though most of the stories he told me were interesting, but I found myself only paying attention to him and not what he was saying. It wasn't that I wasn't interested in the things he was saying, but he seemed so different from everyone else. He approached me despite me not starting any conversations with anyone. He approached me. That was what made him different.

What surprised me even more was when he asked me to tell stories of my adventures. I couldn't help but comply. Thankfully he seemed interested in my numerus dungeon dives though that wasn't surprising.

The next morning, just as I got ready for the day, I heard a knock on my door. As I opened it, I saw Adam standing there.

"Good morning Alea!"

"Hey Adam! How can I help you?" I asked a bit confused.

"I just wanted to know if you would maybe want to spend the day with me?" He asked shaking a bit.

"Sure!" I responded immediately. 'Why did I say that? Why did I reply so fat?' I thought. I wasn't sure why I agreed. But I knew I would enjoy spending a day with him.

Since it was early in the day we decided to go and find a place to eat at not too far from the castle. After eating a very filling dinner I decided to take Adam to the castle garden. We sat on a bench not far from the castle entrance, but thanks to a few trees we were still pretty hidden.

For a moment I felt some powerful mana from the direction of the courtyard, but I wasn't really concerned about it. Either Aya or Arthur was probably there trying out some new techniques.

We just sat there on the bench and talked or looked at the scenery. By the time I we left the sun was already setting It took me a moment to notice how close we were walking, but I didn't step away. I enjoyed his company.

For the first time since losing my family, I found myself caring for someone. It was a weird, but calming feeling.

When we got back to the castle, we said goodbye and I started going back to my room. To my surprise Arthur was waiting for me at the door.

"How was your day, Alea?" he asked tuning towards me.

"I had quite an enjoyable day thank you." I responded not wanting to evaluate further.

"So, you enjoyed Adam's company?"

"H-How do you know about that?" I asked suddenly starting to shake.

"While we were giving everyone a tour of the castle, I noticed the 2 of you just as we got to the garden. Don't worry no one else saw you. I quickly though of an excuse and redirected them. I told them the gardeners were working. Tess took them there just now while I came to talk to you."

"Arthur, I can't thank you enou--" he cut me off before I could finish.

"Thank me by not being held back by the fear of losing the people you care about." He said looking me in the eye. "Don't push him away." He said before walking away.

I just stood there. Trying to process what he said. After a few moments of thinking. I came to a decision.

Let's give this a try.

The next day

After a little hesitation I knocked on the door in front of me. When it opened, I saw Adam, who was seemingly just about to leave.