16| "𝗒𝗈𝗎'𝗋𝖾 𝗐𝖺𝗌𝗍𝗂𝗇𝗀 𝗒𝗈𝗎𝗋 𝗍𝗂𝗆𝖾."

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:

"YOU'RE WASTING YOUR TIME."

It was dark

It was dark. For the open eyes around on the planet, it was hard to see because of all the fog around in the nighttime air. The sound of grunts and pants could be heard, adding to the small sounds of water splashing around whenever the paddles glided through the ocean waves to continue moving the wooden boat forward along the water.

Behind the fog and the dark clouds, the moon was shining down on the group of five that had been able to make it through the dead zone and didn't give up on finding the City of Light, unlike the others who had decided to join Thelonious Jaha on this adventure to look for a city that some of them didn't believe existed. At the front of the wooden boat on the water, Jaha had his back hunched, his chin rested on his hands as he stared at the darkness ahead, fighting the sleep that so desperately wanted to overtake him.

Two of the members in the group, Richards and Craig, had taken the lead to use the paddles to row the boat. And in the middle of the boat, Y/n and Murphy kept sitting beside one another, the Blake girl's head rested on the brunette's shoulder as she occasionally rubbed her eyes, the bags beneath them becoming more evident than before. The group had no idea how long they'd been out on the waters for, but it was long enough that they were all exhausted.

"Yo, Ahab." Murphy calls to the man at the front. "Come back. Get some rest."

Jaha frantically blinks, still not moving. "I'm fine."

"Oh, screw this. If you're not gonna sleep, you can row." Craig speaks up as he drops the paddle to the floor of the boat, catching Jaha's attention as he looks over his shoulder.

"Get back on that oar, Craig." Jaha demands.

Craig raises a brow, a tired breath escaping him. "Or what? We don't even know if we're going in the right direction anymore. We followed that drone across the open ocean. Hell, we deserve to die out here."

"It's okay, it's okay. I'm good to go. I can row." Murphy assures, intervening.

Y/n lifts her head up, looking at him. "Are you sure?"

"Land?" Richards croaks out before he could say anything.

All taking glances over their shoulder at the man, they watch as he points forward, repeating the one word as they followed his gaze. Their eyes all widen at the sight of a light shining through the fog that definitely didn't come from out in the open ocean. Laughs of relief began escaping Richards as smiles grew onto the others faces. Just then, Murphy's arms raise up as he lets out a loud 'yeah' in a cheer, causing all of them to laugh at his sudden outburst of excitement, but also because of the relief at the idea of knowing land was just ahead.

Y/n felt a tired smile grow onto her face as she stared at the light shining through the fog around them as Craig and Richards began quickly rowing the boat in the direction of the light. As they did that, with a large smile, Murphy looks down at the girl beside him just when she looked up at him, their eyes meeting, relief and happiness filled in their gazes as they stared at one another. However, their eye contact broke when the entire rowboat shook roughly, making Jaha's laughs of relief stop as the silent air filled around them.