5

Jungkook pov

As I sat at my drafting table trying to concentrate on finishing my project, I couldn't help but glance up at the drawing of the treehouse.

I didn't have much to finish.

The assignment was to design a completely green office complex located in an urban area.

It was almost done.

All I had left to do was some land scape design around the outside of the building, but instead of focusing on what I needed to do to finish, I kept thinking about Jimin.

About Jimin's father.

About my father. All of the sudden, I was transported back to my junior year of high school.

It was a few days before Jimin and I were supposed to make our annual camping trip up to Black Bear with our moms.

I was running drills at practice when I heard Coach's whistle. His voice carried across the field. "Jeon," he yelled.

I jogged over to him, worried I'd done something wrong. "Coach?"

He took off his cap and ran his forearm across his sweaty brow before he put it back on. Then he put his hand on my shoulder pad.

"Son, I just got a message from your mom. Mr park, Jimin's dad,"

he clarified, "had a heart attack at work today. He didn't make it. Your mom and dad are on their way to pick up Jimin's mom from the hospital in busan, but Jimin's at home alone."

"Your mum wants you to keep Jimin company until they get home. So, I need you to shower up and get over there A.S.A.P. Can you handle that?"

I took off my helmet and nodded.

I couldn't say anything due to the lump forming in my throat.

I felt numb and, as I quickly took off my gear and showered, I tried to convince myself it wasn't real.

There was no way Mr Park was dead.

He was too big, too full of life. It was impossible.

Coach must've misunderstood.

That didn't stop me from breaking every speed limit in busan to get to Jimin.

When I pulled into my driveway, I saw Jimin sitting on the swing on his front porch.

I jumped out of my truck and ran to him.  The closer I got, the more my heart broke into pieces.

He was staring out into the yard. His face was white and his body was stiff.

"Jimin," I said as I knelt in front of him.

"Are you okay?" He shook his head.

I grabbed his hand and pulled him off the swing. "Let's go inside. It's too hot out here." I never stopped holding his hand as I led him up to his bedroom.

We quietly sat next to each other on the edge of his bed while I held his hand.

I didn't know what to say to him.

When he finally spoke, tears were pooling in his big green eyes. "He uh... he asked me to throw ball in the front yard last night and I told him no."

"Then he asked if I wanted to watch Cake Boss with him and I, uh, I told him I had an AP Lit paper to finish."

He looked at me and I watched his tears as they spilled down his cheeks, and it hurt so much I felt like I couldn't breathe.

I reached up, gently took his glasses off, and put them on his nightstand.