29

Jungkook pov

I was standing in the kitchen when I saw Jimin's text appear.

Jimin: Bae, my mom just informed me that we are going to dinner at your house. Tell me right now if it's too weird. I can make an excuse.

Before I could even finish reading the text, another came through.

Jimin: 911. Tell me what to do!!

I smiled as I looked at his texts.

I love him. I wondered about it earlier that morning, but after we spent the day together, I knew.

It would be completely weird having him at Christmas dinner, but I wanted to see him.

Me: It's not too weird. Come. I want to see you, monkey.

I stared down at my phone, watching those little typing dots appear and disappear.

Jimin: Okay bae.

I let out a breath when I saw his response.

Me: 💕

As I stared down at the tiny heart I sent to Jimin, I sucked in a deep breath. It all scared the hell out of me.

I was going down a path that would change my life forever. The truth was, I wasn't sure when or if I could ever come out, but I was sure of one thing I couldn't live without him. I had him.

He was mine. I needed him in my life.

I wasn't sure that I could breathe without him.

My mother's voice startled me out of my thoughts as I stared down at the messages.

"Jungkook."

I jerked my head up from my phone and quickly slid it into my pocket.

"Are you okay, baby?" my mother asked as she squeezed my arm.

I nodded and swallowed the lump in my throat. "Yeah. No. Yeah. I'm okay," I lied.

My mother rubbed my back. "You can talk to me about anything," she said, running her fingers over my back.

"I know," I responded, as I looked up at her.

"Are you sure? You look flushed. Are you getting enough sleep?"

"No. Yeah. I'm good. Do you need help?" I asked with half of a smile.

"Sure. Could you set two more places at the table? Julie and Jimin are coming for dinner."

I cleared my throat. "Really?" I asked.

I was terrified my voice would give me away. I was worried I didn't sound surprised enough, or maybe I sounded too surprised.

I rubbed my eyes before I reached in the cabinet for two dinner plates.

I wasn't sure I could do it. How was I supposed to act around Jimin?

No matter how I acted, my father would figure it out. He be looking for it.

My hand shook as I pulled the plates out of the cabinet.

"Yes. I'm so happy you and Jimin are on speaking terms again. I never thought it would take this long for you guys to work things out. It broke my heart when the two of you stopped talking to each other."

I couldn't help but be shocked by my mother's comment. "You never said anything," I said, placing the plates on the counter, looking up at her nervously.

She shrugged. "Julie and I agreed, for the sake of our friendship, that we would let the two of you sort it out."

I nodded. It never occurred to me how my actions may have affected their friendship.