Chapter Sixteen: A Variant of Pai Sho

This chapter is dedicated to AnnT13

______

When (Y/N) walked into her living quarters after waving goodbye to Zuko, the first thing she noticed was a presence; a comforting one. Her lips spread into a wide grin. Iroh stood up from where he was sitting by the hearth when he heard her walk in.

“Uncle Iroh.” She squealed, relief flooding her senses as she ran over and hugged him. Only him and Zuko ever made her feel so comfortable and at peace.

He laughed in his usual cheerful jolly manner and hugged her back paternally.

“You seemed to have grown, young Child. Is that even possible?” He praised as they pulled away from the hug.

(Y/N) beamed. “Never tried it before but I guess being here does make me kinda age like a mortal.”

“I’m happy you are looking well. Come sit, I was making jasmine tea while waiting for you.” He motioned towards the table that had a full set of jasmine tea, and a Pai Sho game already set on the circular board.

She laughed softly when she saw that.

They sat down. A guard came in and Iroh turned to him. He silently bowed at Iroh. (Y/N) turned and saw that the guards behind him were all leaving. Soon that guard too turned, closed the door and left.

“They say the walls have ears.” Iroh explained to a lost (Y/N) as he served the tea into the cups.

(Y/N) blinked, realizing he was explaining why he dismissed all the guards. She might’ve existed for a long time but the art of wisdom imbedded in pretty proverbs eluded her. Hot water filled the cups; the fresh steam from the heat carrying the sweet scent of jasmine into the air.

Iroh served her tea.

“Now, down to business.” He said with utmost seriousness in his deep voice. “Will you pick the green tiles, or the orange tiles.” He held up the two tiles. It was a variant of Pai Sho with colored tiles but the same characteristics.

(Y/N) sipped her tea and pondered her options carefully. This was a matter of life or death.

“Orange.”

He stacked the tiles on the board and they began playing.

She made a move. "I heard one of Azula's friends talking about rumours."

Iroh nodded as he stared at the pieces on the board. "There have been rumours about you, spreading beyond the castle walls."

"What are they saying?"

Iroh moved his piece. "That the Fire Lord Azulon has ordained a skilled Fire Bender as his Ace, so powerful she breathes flames like a dragon. Some are more exaggerated than others, religious and bigoted but they will fade with time."

(Y/N)'s long strands fell over her face as she looked down. "Do they fear me?"

Iroh's eyes softened. "Understand this Child, they simply fear what they don't know. It is the idea of you that scares them, not you. You are more than that."

She smiled and finally made a move on the board.

It was a leisure game and of course Iroh ended up winning, which he was ecstatic about.

They finally settled down as Iroh started collecting the Pai Sho.

He lowered his voice. “I have made all the necessary arrangements. When the moon is full in three days, there will be no guards outside and a bag of everything you need by the door. Take this now.” He pulled out a scroll from his robe.