[𝙿𝚛𝚘𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚞𝚎]

↳-No Longer Human-༉‧₊˚✧

"Which of all the books do you suggest I read today, my dear?"

The little girl draws her lips together as she examines the bookshelves with her eyes. Shelves of books were immobile atop a wooden shelf, as if they had been planted as seeds and then grew as a result of the sunshine that was present in the space.

"Hm...what about that one?"

The man looks in the direction that the girl is pointing before proceeding slowly and quietly towards the bookcase.

The bookcase with it's inky treasures adorned the quiet room, quiet in that sense of easy solitude and in the sense of gentle seaside hues, soft blues, greys and browns. The wood of the bookcase looked for all the world as if it had washed up on a beach someday, as if was once a part of a mighty sailing ship. Yet now it sits in its forever harbour, in that soulful bay that is the corner of this room.

As the man approached the bookcase, his fingers delicately reach inside and carefully removed a book that had a leather binding.

The book was a simple earthy hued cover, warming to the eyes, comforting with golden letter engraved on the cover. After all of these years, it was smooth to the touch, and the edges had a familiar appearance, as if they had been taken off a well-loved teddy bear.

Natsume gives the book he is holding a casual hum while simultaneously examining it. His eyes became misty as he was overcome with an intense feeling of melancholy sweeping over him.

Aya peaks over his shoulder.

"Is something the matter? I-I can pick another book if you want." She utters the words quite tensely. Truth be told, Aya has never witnessed Natsume display such a fond yet guilty expression on his face. It seemed to her as though she had awakened an ancient recollection within the man.

Natsume gave a slight shake of his head while maintaining a gentle smile on his face and holding the book in his hands. "No, this will do. And I think that you might enjoy it as well."

Aya beams, grinning brightly as she hurriedly skipped over to the couch and plopped herself down on top of the brown cushioning. Natsume follows shortly and adjusts himself on the couch so that the book is properly positioned on his lap.

"What's the title of the book?" Without waiting for a response, Aya shifts her body weight so she is pressed against Natsume's shoulder, and her bright eyes skim over the leather cover of the book.