The high price we pay

Author's Note: This bit makes reference to 6x10, but it is set away from HQ and every setting of the actual episode. I only referenced the show in one part. If you haven't watched the episode or this season at all, no worries. Enjoy!

                                    *******************************

The day was perfect! Birds were singing, streets were buzzing, parks were filled...and SWAT was, yet again, dealing with a horrible situation that hit close to home for one particular team member. As the case went along, tempers flared, until that officer had to be called off the mission altogether. 

Several miles away, activists and general public have been protesting and facing off against a lucrative company. The issue started when city officials downtown signed a very important document granting permission to build a mall, as if LA were short of them! The claims were only getting louder, as many families received eviction notices and orders to relocate to more expensive areas. Activists also claimed that with this project came more cutting down on trees, more pollution and overall danger to the environment. Protestors claimed they will have less places to serve the community and worse living conditions to the more than a thousand residents affected who could not afford higher rents.

People were outraged, marching and organizing protests. Today was no exception, as tempers flared so high, LAPD called for SWAT to provide protection for the builders from the protestors that began physically assaulting them, from throwing bottles and trash to attacking the machines, etc. Stevens' crew had already been sent to keep the order the day before and fortunately were able to keep the peace. However, demonstrations had been going on for days and have gotten more and more violent. Media had been present since day one. The situation had gained state and national attention. All around the nation, people were outraged by the events taking place there and even started donations and drives for those relocated.

Chris could watch the hundreds marching by the main street near her place. Their shouts and chants reached her in the living room, as she sat down this beautiful morning to fill out what felt like a mountain sized pile of papers.

It had been several months since she'd taken over the house, so she was finally settled in. Now, paperwork didn't scare or bothered her as much. She remembered it was the worst part of her job back in her SWAT days. Now, it was part of her routine.

As she was diving in, a noise came from one of the rooms of the house. She stopped and tilted her head towards it, trying to get a better notion of what was happening. Once she realized it, she could hear some chatter coming from the younger occupants in the house. She took a break and addressed the door, almost tip toeing towards it.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Oye, ¿todo está bien?" ("Hey! Everything ok?") she asked, leaning on the door.

She heard snickering, giggles and some rummaging inside. She stood quiet, shaking her head quietly. She hoped they weren't playing with their mother's make up again!

THUMP

"María, Anita, Guadalupe!" Chris called, trying to hold off her laughter and shaking her head. These kids were definitely on to something! "¿Qué hacen, niñas?" ("What are you doing, girls?")

"¡Nada!" ("Nothing!") called one of the girls, while the others giggled.

Chris shook her head and rolled her eyes. The girls were a handful, especially María! Their mothers Rina and Tamisha were in a meeting about affordable housing with the representative Chris found for them. They were sisters, coming from the southern border. Tamisha, a victim herself, had rescued her little sister from an abusive relationship in their native San Salvador. They had crossed the border, barely. Since then, they had been living in horrible conditions , while working in the fields of South California. They made it to LA and showed up one day in the playground with their three kids. Chris started talking to them, gaining their trust, until she was able to pull them out of the fields and into the safe house. Now, both worked in a local business and the children were finally going to start school. All five needed tons of counseling and help, which Chris worked hard to get them.