Unromantic

"So...plans ready for tonight?" Officer Tan asked curiously. 

Street tucked the phone between his shoulder and his ear, while juggling his toast and his coffee mug. He was in a rush, since his conference was scheduled to start in under forty minutes and it was about a thirty minute commute. 

SWAT was requested to provide a volunteer officer for the annual meeting at the Youth Sports' League Center in southeast LA, and since it was a late call and most of the senior officers were engaged in prior arrangements, the only one who was free and actually volunteered was Officer Street. The young officer wondered why nobody raised their hand, after all it meant free food and snacks. All he had to do was speak for just ten minutes and spend the rest of the day in a booth, occasionally answering questions from visitors. In other words, a super chilling day in his book! He was ready for a down day, especially after the intense case his squad had worked on just two days ago, involving the massacre of two families, including seven minors. Everyone was mandated to meet with Dr. Wendy and some even took personal time to spend with family. 

"Nope! As soon as I get home, I plan to be comfy all weekend long, hopefully in my pjs! But...you know me...I can go Commando!" Street answered comfortably, followed by a long sip of the remaining coffee in his mug and a light snicker. 

"Dude!" Tan snapped annoyed, "It's Valentine's weekend and you have a girlfriend. Need I remind you about the five years of begging you spent to get her?"

"Hey!" Street snapped annoyed, depositing the mug in the sink carefully. "There was no begging involved!"

"Yeah, sure, sure! Keep telling yourself that, bud!" the other officer taunted. 

"Whatever!" he responded rolling his eyes and shaking his head, "Anyway, I don't need to do all of the Valentine's bs!"

"And why exactly do you think that?" he heard Tan asked, as he turned on the fossette to wet his hair a bit.

"Coz...last year I went all out and it hardly made a difference. I would've gotten some either way!" he responded overly confident.

"Uff! 'nough said" Tan said, annoyed. "Look, I'll be off for a couple of minutes while I testify, but don't forget to call me. We gotta go over the details of the job we got on Monday!"

"Yeah, ok. Deac said he was gonna give me the details during lunch time, so...I'll give you a ring after that. You think your meeting with the board -after court duty- will end quickly?"  

"I don't know. Hicks warned me I might be downtown the whole day... and Hondo told me yesterday to get a good night sleep coz it was going to be a long day today. So..."

"Oh...ok" Street said, as he down the rest of the coffee, and placed the mug in the empty sink. 

He thought he heard something behind him, but thought better than to turn around. He was already late!

"Dude, stop by the store and at least get Chris some chocolates!" Tan said annoyed. 

"Even better, I'll get her cookies from the conference today!" he responded excited, "Check it out! I get to eat free, spend the day relaxed in a booth and can get a free treat for her... all without moving a finger. Tell me that's not a bargain!"

"I hope you're right coz every lady wants to be serenated on Valentine's."

"C'mon, Tan! I know her. You know her. It's Chris!" Street responded, grabbing his bag and swinging it on his shoulder, while juggling his keys and helmet. "She's not into those fancy girly stuff." Street snapped annoyed, placing the keys onto the door and wiping his hand clean on his pants.