My knight in shining armor

DRIP

DRIP

DRIP

Chris stared at the cup as the machine slowly poured in freshly brewed coffee. A feeling of nostalgia swept all over her, while she watched attentively at the liquid falling slowly. 

Every cop in town knew Corner Joe's Place was the best and fastest cup of coffee in town. Nobody could explain if it was the bean, the machine or just the familiarity of the place, but Joe's was the comfort for all brothers in blue. 

She knew she wasn't one of them, at least not anymore. That morning it hit her particularly hard. She woke up with a deep sense of melancholy, as today marked the one year anniversary of her quitting SWAT. It felt different, as if time had suddenly stopped. 

Things in the safe house couldn't be better; volunteers were doing a great job and the ladies felt at home. She knew she was making Mama Pina proud! However, today it felt weird getting up early and going about her business. It felt weird not to wake up to drills, training, calls, paperwork, lifts, weights... Memories of those times flooded her mind the entire morning while in meetings!

Now, as traffic accumulated in the streets, announcing the incoming lunch rush, she decided to take a break and relive her cop days as close as possible. No badge, no talkie, no weapon...just good ol' cop's special from Joe's: coffee and a donut. 

An older man behind the counter attended a costumer, while paying a close eye on the front door. She had a good view of the action up front, from the corner of the side wall. The coffee machine was at the end of the long counter, right next to the hot dog warmer, the donut machine and the cheese dip. 

DLIIIING 

DLIIING

The front door sounded, announcing new customers coming in. This time, two young men dressed in beach shorts and sleeveless shirts came in happily chatting. Only an older lady noticed, sitting in the dinning area, facing the outside window. She turned to take a look, then returned to enjoying her cup of tea and her book. Another two customers were eyeing products in two separate aisles, which were clearly visible from the front entrance. Chris was the only one on the opposite side, not visible to the incomers. 

"Morning!" the man behind the counter greeted, opening the register to finish the transaction. 

"Morning!" the first responded. 

"Hey!" the second greeted. 

Sigh. She grabbed one of the stools, leaned over the counter, resting her hand on her chin, watching the hot liquid being poured slowly. It was beginning to feel therapeutic! 

Any other day, I would've already had this coffee and by now it'd be completely digested either because of boxing, training or shooting drills. Uff! I remember the countless times I would clock in after a huge breakfast only to have Hondo or Deacon announce sprint drills early in the morning. How I wanted to puke after the second go-around. Those were the days!

The young customers stuck around the entrance, chatting and joking while checking the candy selection at the front of the first aisle. She was so focused on the pouring of coffee that she didn't notice the backdoor open.

DRIP

DRIP

DRIP

SLAM

"Hey! Long time no see!" the owner, Joe, greeted happily, coming from behind her. 

He held a bundle of receipts in hand, while tilting his head downward, to get a better look at her from above his eyeglasses. The tall, heavy, tan skin-colored man smiled at her nicely, getting her to turn her neck to face him.