The Night Before Christmas

I sat picking Christmas songs quietly on my guitar as the fireplace crackled next to me. Junior sat quietly on the floor next to Michael watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer with the volume down low. Matteo's tiny little body sprawled out sleepily across Michael's chest, his small fingers playing with the buttons on Michael's shirt unconsciously as Malachi slept quietly in the rocker. Milo began to snore quietly next to me on the couch.

"Hey..." I whispered gently nudging Michael's shoulder with my foot, he looked back at me and smiled "Merry almost Christmas" I whispered. "Merry almost Christmas" he smiled.

Michael stretched  as the credits rolled on the movie "you know" he turned to Junior, the only little one still awake, "we had better get to bed, Santa should be coming soon - don't want him to skip us" Juniors eyes opened wide and he ran upstairs "brush your teeth first!" I called after him. I gently shook Milo awake and nudged him towards the stairs and picked up Malachi while Michael followed close behind carrying Matteo. "The sooner you get to sleep the sooner it will be Christmas" Michael sang and that was enough to get them upstairs in a hurry. "Here, give him to me, I'll take them and you take Milo and Junior" Michael nestled Matteo in my free arm before taking off down the hall after Junior and Milo.

"They asleep?" I met Michael in the hall "out like a light" "let's get to work" I smirked.

"I don't even know what I'm doing here..." I laughed, surrounded by a hundred different pieces of a scooter "Why did you take all pieces out at once?!" Michael asked as he laughed at me. "I was trying to take in inventory!" I shook my head and continued assembling the scooter.

By the time Michael had placed the last bow it was nearly midnight, the room only lit by the fireplace and the tree now "you're still working on those" "I'm almost done, this is the last one!" I shot him a glare. He chuckled. "Shit, I lost the last piece" "what's it look like?" Michael asked, moving some boxes and wrapping out of the way. "It's a little plug that is supposed to go in the end of the handle bar" "you mean like this one" He picked a plastic plug off the floor. I reached for it, he quickly snatched it away as he hopped to his feet and ran to the backside of the couch "you had better give that back Michael, I'm not in the mood." He ran back over and held it out. I reached for it and he snatched it away again. "Now you've done it" I grabbed the leg of his pajama pants and then his ankle. He struggled to continue walking, pulling my body along with him across the floor, laughing. "You can't just go dead weight" he laughed "I can to, you had better be quiet and give that back or you'll wake the boys." Michael dragged me back towards the scooters and popped the last piece in. "look at these beautiful scooters I built" he flashed a cheesy grin. I dropped my arms and head onto the carpet dramatically.

Michael got down on his knees and flipped me over, I let my arm fall with a thud. He leaned down and kissed me, I smiled. I could not have picked a better dad for my kids, his fun loving, child like spirit made everyday exciting, his ability to see the good in the world despite everything amazed me and I hoped that was a quality all of our kids would take from him. "What are you thinking about..." he asked leaning over me, his eyes sparkled with the light from the tree. I pulled his face down to mine and softly kissed him. "Just about how wonderful you are" "stop" he said sheepishly blushing.

He leaned down and kissed me again and I gently kissed him in return. He looked at the watch on his wrist "would you look at that... merry Christmas baby

TBC ...