The Xhakaza family

Crystal

We arrived safely in KZN and right now we are on our way to Siya's family home. Filled with his family. I thought I was nervous on my lobola day but this, this is terrifying. I am beyond terrified and Belle is here chatting up a storm with her father who is so relaxed. Goodness I wish I was as calm as they are.

We arrived in the homestead and its quiet, all I see are silhouettes of houses, there are small lights lighting up the pathway. We drove straight to the house in the center of the homestead, Siya said its the main house.

"We have arrived" he said, brining me back on earth.

"Let's go" he said and I hadn't moved a muscle. Eventually we left the car and as we neared the door, the more voices I heard. Siya knocked on the door and I thought it would take a minute but the door bursts open and a tiny figure jumped onto him. I quickly pulled Belle behind me so that she wouldn't get hurt.

"Malume! Ubuyile" the small feminine voice squealed.

"Yebo Zobuhle, ithi singene endlini ke (Yes Zobuhle, let's get in the house now)"

She held her hand and lead the way, he gasve me an apologetic look. As we got to the living room, there were so many people conversating

"Look whose home!" The girl, Zobuhle, shouted. Everyone turned to stare

"Siya!!!" One by one people stood up to welcome us. Belle was all smiles. Once we had gone through the whole family, or what I thought is the whole family, we sat down. I had Belle on my lap who was looking around fascinated, I would be too but I was overwhelmed by my feelings.

"Hey, come I need help with something" I looked up when the girl (chatting to Belle) who I hoped is Zamakha nudged me. I stood and followed behind the woman who had called me.

"Ewe sisi"

"Would you like some food? I figured since you guys arrived, you are probably hungry"

"Oh thank you. I'd love some for food."

"Great! Please grab a plate over there"

I turned and found a mountain of clean plates stacked up on the counter top "Why are there so many?"

"This is a big family. And I quite remember when I first got here, yhoo I was so damn scared." Claps hands. "uMakaSiya was so sweet to me, but when we were alone. Yhoo! Umfazi wakhipha ama true colours wakhe ngathi never again"

"I've been there."

"Shame askies, you married her golden boy. Good luck"

"Thanks, I really need it" I laughed a bit.

We spoke more and I found out that her name is Samukele and she is Zamakha's mother, married to MakaNathi's first born son, Mlungisi. We decided to sit in the kitchen and Zamakha came in with Belle looking sleepier than ever.

"I guess its time to get you into bed little one." Sis'Samu said to Zamakha.

"Mama ngivukule nje (mama I'm awake though)" she argued. Samu gave her a look and she yawned and said "I'm suddenly tired"

I let out a little laugh and picked Belle up. She put her head on my shoulder and slowly, her breathing slowed down into a pattern. We met Siya on our way out of the kitchen.

"Hey, I was just coming to get you. Sisi, ngicela ukubatjontja (Sisi, may I please steal them)"

"Please do, the little one is already asleep and I'm sure uCrytal is exhausted."