Sense made

Crystal

I had fallen asleep. I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing. 'Ring' by Khelani and Cardi B. After it shut down I turned and got more comfortable. Just as I was getting back to my slumber, my phone rang again. I searched blindly for my phone.

It stopped again but now I was wide awake. I found my phone on the far right side behind my laptop. I reached for my phone and grabbed it, just as it rang. I answered.

"Milicent?" Only then did I realise that my voice is dry.

"Wuuuu mntase. Yintoni unxilile? (Wuuuu sis. What's up, you drunk?)" She asked

"Hmm-mmm. I was asleep" I said yawning.

"Mmmm ungumakoti onjani na? (Mmmmm what kind of bride are you)"

"The modern kind tase. Akhonto endingayeza kulomzi. Ndikuxelele. (There's nothing to do in this house. I tell you)"

"Yhoo marriage is hard"

"Tell me about it" I cleared my throat.

"Anyway tase, mna ndiyagoduka ngomso so bendifuna uyazi uba ndiyahamba ungathuku xa ungandiboni apha (Anyway cuz, I'm leaving tomorrow so I wanted you to know that I'm going so that you don't get shocked when you don't see me)" she said

"Oh" I felt sad. I just came back like a day ago but she's leaving already.

"Haai marn sucatcha ama feelings (no man don't catch feelings)"

We laughed at that

"Where are you now? Ndize"

"Haai tase akhonto...on second thought come cuz, we'll meet at the mall. Just get me out of this house"

"Nam ndifuna uhamba apha." I got up from the bed, getting my things together.

"Okay, so sodibana pha e mall? (So we'll meet at the mall?)"

"Ewe. See you then"

I said

"Byee"

I cut the call and threw my phone onto the bed. I headed to the bathroom and washed my face and mouth. Trying yo look like I was not sleeping just now. I got back into the room once I fixed my face. I grabbed my phone, wallet and slippers. I made sure I had everything before I left my bedroom, locking it behind me.

I headed down the stairs. I planned to leave without anyone noticing.

"Hey" I turned and it was Sabelo. I was silently happy.

"Hi" I waved at him

"Uyaphuma? (You leaving?)"

"Yep."

I thought he'd say no, I was prepared to curse at him

"Okay."

Huh

"Yeah...bye" I turned and headed for the door

"Please get me some doritos" I heard him shout when I got out.

Once I was outside I had a 'aha!' Moment. I realised that I had no car or mode of transport. I rushed back into the house and grabbed the closest car keys.

I rushed to the garage and I pressed the unlock button. I had taken the black Audi Q4. I opened the gate and slowly reversed out of the garage and out the gaye I went.

It had been so long since I'd driven a car in SA so this was a bit of a struggle.

I felt like I was learning how to drive for the first time.