• thirty-two •

Kai looked down at her phone, scrolling through as the three around her talked.

She chewed the inside of her cheek and started to pull it apart. "Kai." Her mom called out. The girl looked up from her phone. "You've been quiet, it's unusual for you."

The girl laughed, getting some attention from the nearby table to just look away. "I was thinking. If you want me to talk just say so." Kai snickered, knowing she can be a handful if she does too much.

"Where've you been recently, I mostly see you away from the weekends." Her brother muttered, sipping his drink.

Kai turned to look at him. "I didn't know you wanted to see me more." Kai snickered again.

Her brother kicked her under the table, making her flinch in pain "Kids." Tina glared at the two, sighing.

Aponi chuckled slightly. Knowing the true things Kai does over the weekend with Tyler with our fail.

"You must be good friends with Micheal," Tina said.

Kai gave a dry laugh, looking away from her mom. "Well actually, I'm not going there for Micheal." Kai looked back up at her mom. "I'm going there for Tyler." Kai smiled.

Tina gave a nod. "You're working for the class together right?"

Kai shook her head in disagreement, fiddling with her fingers. "I am in a slight relationship with him," Kai muttered.

Tina said nothing, her expression dropped to shock. The sky looked back up shocked too. "You're saying he went after you? He's out of your league." Sky said, making her kick him in the leg. Though making her foot in pain.

Tina cleared her thoughts, getting the attention of the three. "How old is he?"

Kai scrunched up her face. "I'm eighteen mom, you don't have to get in my relationship."

Aponi kept his head down, drinking his tea as he watched the drama unfold.

It wasn't rare to see them get into arguments, it was the most common thing. As common as breathing.

"Kai, how old is he?" Tina glared at her youngest kid.

Kai only rolled her eyes, glaring back at her mother. "Twenty-one," Kai stated. "He's turning twenty-two next year. Do you have a problem with that?" Kai raised her eyebrow.

"I thought you wanted to focus on your studies this year. You planned to go to college, you can't be held back by him." Aponi looked out the window, wishing Kai would just drop the subject. He knew Tina had great expectations of Kai.

He knew the whole family just from being in that household for a short time.

Tina had six kids, though two passed away shortly after birth. The oldest is David, who didn't go to college cause his girlfriend was pregnant. So he went to the military for a job. They broke up and he went to a different woman, his current wife. Whoever, he understands is a bitch. Though David is too since he never wanted to visit Tina and only contacted her for money. David works in a stone shop.

The second eldest is Tammy. Who also didn't go to college from a controlling boyfriend. And went into another three terrible relationships and still is in one. She works at Walmart, once being a nurse but quit.

And then the third one, Sky. Who still lives with Tina and them? Hasn't gotten a job and plans not to go to college. Talks about going to the military but his disability stops him from doing so.

And Kai, the last one.

Tina wishes she could do what she wants to. To go to college and get a degree to get a job.

But Kai hated that. Her goal was to rub it in her sibling's faces so that she would be the only one who went to college. Land a good job with great money to rub that into.

But Tina always brought it up, that Kai had to go to college. Had to work on her schoolwork this year.

"I don't have to go to college right away. And I already told you I'm having a rest year to get more money for college." Kai muttered, trying to keep her composure.

Tina scowled at her kid. "He's only going to hold you back."

And, that was the breaking point. Sky and Aponi looked at each other to sigh together. Knowing a fight has now ensued.

Kai scoffed back at her mother. Scrunching up her face. "He's not going to do that. I can have a relationship and do school at the same time, mom."

"You work too," Tina added.

Kai felt her eye twitch, which indicates that she was getting angry.

She smirked slightly. "You know, you and I aren't the same right? I know you had bad romances in the past, but I don't have to all the time." Kai shot back.

"I always thought this family was cursed, seeing every relationship in this family fall to crumbles. Either being in an abusive one, manipulative, or mostly both. But since I met Tyler, I realized. That it wasn't true, you all just suck at finding the right one." Kai got up.

"Before I go, I want you to know. Tyler is the best man I've ever met, the best person I should say. He treats me right. He would never do anything thing to harm me. So maybe, before thinking he's a bad person. Think about everything he's done so far. He's helped me, he's helped you. He even helps fix our shit car. I know you still think all men are trash, but he isn't."

Kai picked up her purse, taking out some cash to drop it on the table. "I'll take my leave, mom." She walked out. Some people saw the commotion though it was too loud from the TVs to hear the argument.

Tina said nothing, and the two boys said nothing either. In an awkward silence, Sky set down the empty cup he had just drank. "So does that mean I can eat her food?"

"We're packing it for her," Tina muttered under her breath.