chapter thirty nine • home

don't forget to vote and comment!! I love you <3

TW: SEXUAL ASSAULT

August Matthews
Wednesday, March 2nd

The uber I ordered after dropping Stas back off at her house pulls up in what feels like a snail's place. My parent's house looks the same on the outside even if I can feel that life is being drained out of it.

"You have to get out of the car, kid. I have another ride." The uber says in an annoyed voice.

"Right. Sorry, man." I reply, climbing out of the tiny Toyota.

I walk up the stairs to my house, the large cherry red door imposing as I knock three times and take a step back. I have house keys so I could just walk in but it doesn't feel right at this moment to do this.

I hear my mom's voice from the inside, sounding broken, "Todd, honey can you get the door."

"Sure thing sweetheart." He called back at her and I heard his footsteps approaching me.

As the door swung open I was frozen in fear of their reaction to me being back so suddenly. My father stood silent for a second in disbelief before he attacked me with all his weight, crushing me into a hug that made me feel like I'd been gone for years instead of weeks.

He doesn't say anything for a long time, just clinging to me while his tears dampen my uniform shirt. The front door starts beeping that it's been left open but he doesn't stop, the noise only encouraging my mom to finally emerge from the kitchen. A similar expression to my fathers rests on her face for a moment before she launches herself at me as well.

Both of them are crying against me with their arms wrapped so tight I feel like I'm suffocating, but I feel safe.

Safe and loved.

After a few minutes and many more tears shed the three of us break apart, finally closing the front door and wiping under our eyes while letting out teary laughs.

"I'm happy your home sweetheart. I don't think I've ever been so scared that I have in the past two weeks. Just hoping you were safe wherever you were."

"I'm happy your back home son, the two of us have a lot to talk about." My dad tries to put on a tough guy facade even with his reddened eyes and tear stains on his polo shirt and I give him a nod.

"Well, where were you, August? I love that you are back home but you have some serious explaining to do." My mom grabs my hand and pulls me towards a couch, never letting go of my hand even when both of us are seated.

My father takes a seat on an adjacent chair and I explain to them everything that happened while I was away, Stas finding me and bringing me home and our fight this morning.

"She's a sweet girl, August. You two will find your way to each other again." My mom says as she runs her fingers over my knuckles in a show of comfort. Her tears started slightly again while I was talking but she wipes under her eyes and stands up from the couch after comforting me for a minute or two, "well, I'm going to get started on dinner. I'm glad to have you back sweetheart." She gives my hair an affectionate shake and makes her way out of the living room and into the kitchen.