Chapter 14 | Quiet Debut

As the protest continued on, you still have no idea what the protestors were really protesting about and the manager didn't want to say anything about it to avoid ruining dressing room atmosphere. You still thought it was about you not being capable enough to play at such a high level. Therefore, you decided to put even more effort into training to hopefully win the fans over. Putting in the effort seems to have worked as the great news came ahead of the first game of the season against RCD Mallorca. You would be included in the match day squad for that game. It wasn't a position in the lineup, but you will have to take whatever you can.

However, ahead of this first home game of the season. The voices of the protest has seemed to only increase as the fans were planning something called "Vacío Estadio San Mamés" which literally translates to "Empty San Mamés Stadium". You didn't really know what this was about as the description was all in Spanish so you decided to shake it off and focus on your training and the buildup to the game. Hopefully getting a chance to make your La Liga debut against RCD Mallorca.

First Half

You didn't play at all in the first half. However, you need to wait for your moment and this was not your moment yet. The manager did tell you to warm up on the touchline to prepare to come on any time. You just followed and did what you were told, just continue to wait for your chance to come onto the pitch. However, as you were warming up on the sidelines, the fans seemed to be giving you some stick as boos surrounded you. It was not a nice feeling but you just shut your ears and ignore all the booing to continue your warm up routing

The first half was a stalemate. Athletic Bilbao were attacking quite well, registering shots but nothing was going into the net. It was not good for Bilbao, but at least you were taking shots which was showing attacking intent. It was frustrating, Bilbao clearly had the upper hand in the game but Mallorca were keeping themselves in the game by defending well. Something needed to be changed for the second half if Bilbao wanted to win this game, there needs to be a different game plan if Bilbao wanted to breach the Mallorca defence.

Half Time

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-0 RCD Mallorca

58th Minute

As the second half restarted, Bilbao continued to play attacking football. However, the same thing happened, nothing was heading into the net. The team kept having shots on target but the score was still at 0-0. The manager waved at you and signalled you to get prepared to come on. This was your moment, your moment to shine. Finally your long anticipated La Liga debut has arrived.

Whilst you were getting some final instructions from the manager, the crowd seemed to have spotted that you would soon be coming on. They were not shy about voicing their displeasure of you ready to come on as they started booing and some fans even left the stadium in protest. However, you ignored the boos and continued to prepare for your La Liga debut.

"SUBSTITUTION FOR ATHLETIC CLUB BILBAO, COMING OFF THE PITCH ASIER VILLALIBRE AND COMING ON THE PITCH MAKING HIS CLUB AND LA LIGA DEBUT Y/N"

"BOOOOOOOOO" the crowd responded.

It was not a good reception as you came on the pitch. The whole stadium booed at you and you didn't know why. Most of the people in the stadium also decided to take this as a cue to leave the stadium and very soon the stadium was mostly empty, gaps and seats were very visible. You have no idea why this was happening but you shook it off because there was a game to win.

63rd Minute

You tried your best to change the game and hopefully a good performance you could win the fans over. It wouldn't be easy as you know, but nevertheless you just played as the manager instructed. As a false 9 sitting right behind Inaki Williams and Alex Berengeur. Getting into the channels and popping up in front of goal when needed. This new style of playing gave the team more free flowing attacks as you dropping back has allowed Inaki Williams to play more advanced. Most of the time you were running towards the centre of the pitch to receive the ball before laying it off to Inaki Williams who was trying to get through on goal.

78th Minute

It was still a stalemate, but you were trying your best to link up with your new teammates to try and score the goal. Breaking the deadlock was going to be a hard thing to do, especially with Mallorca playing more and more defensively as every minute passes by. Once again, you were doing your job as a false 9, dropping deep and letting Inaki Williams to run in the space behind created by you.

Dropping into the middle of the pitch, you received the ball from Oihan Sancet and playing the ball sideways back towards Sancet. Inaki Williams immediately roams into the space create behind you. Seeing the opportunity, you called for the ball again and Sancet plays it towards you. Seeing the gap between the Mallorca defenders, you played a through ball towards Inaki Williams and breaking the defence, Inaki Williams was one on one with the goalkeeper. This was it, the moment where the deadlock gets broken. However, Inaki Williams tried some flair by chipping the ball upwards and it didn't work. It was saved by Predrag Rajkovic, corner to Athletic Club Bilbao

87th Minute

You did change the game when you came on. But as the clock ticked away, the game looked like it was going to finish 0-0. The game looks like it was dead, the stadium was mostly emptied, nobody was watching and nothing was really changing in the game. Suddenly near the centre circle, you some how find yourself with the ball. Spotting Alex Berengeur running down the left side, you played a direct pass towards Berengeur and quickly ran into the box. Alex Berengeur then put in a hard and low cross into the box aiming for Inaki Williams in the back post. However, you intercepted it and took on the shot. It was not the perfect shot but it went low and looking like it was going towards the bottom corner. Until it hit the post and came back out. Swiftly, Inaki Williams chased into the 6 yard box for the loose ball and tucked it into the back of the net before anyone else could get there. Finally the deadlock has been broken, finally Athletic Club Bilbao had the lead and it was all thanks to the way you changed the game and most importantly your assist. But there were no fans there to celebrate it.

Athletic Club Bilbao 1-0 RCD Mallorca

Full Time

It was really the perfect debut for you. You did all you could, changed the game when you came on and your assist helped the team pick up the three points right at the start of the season. The manager was proud of you and most of the teammates were impressed of what you did on the pitch. However, the fans didn't see it, the fans didn't see what you did on the pitch because most of them left the stadium right at the moment you came onto the pitch. Despite it being a very good debut, it was an empty one. In fact, it was an quiet debut.