Chapter 19 | Three In A Row

Elche CF vs Athletic Club Bilbao

After the first loss of the season, the club then faced Elche for the next game and once again you found yourself on the bench for the game. You were not happy but as a player you need to respect the manager's decision and if the manager places you on the bench, all you could do is respect his decision and sit on the bench without making a big fuss. Despite having you on the bench and playing the same team as the game against Espanyol, Bilbao managed to win the game with a by a big margin mainly because Elche didn't have any attacking threat at all and their defence was all over the place. It was not a good game for Bilbao and the scoreline definitely does not respect it. The 4-1 scoreline against Elche was just purely because of Elche's poor game plan.

Full Time

Elche CF 1-4 Athletic Club Bilbao

Athletic Club Bilbao vs Rayo Vallecano de Madrid

Once again, you found yourself on the bench for the game against Rayo Vallecano. You were starting to see a theme here. However, once again you are not going to complain. You need to respect the manager's decision. If the game plan against Elche worked without having you in the team, this time playing against Rayo Vallecano with the same team as against Elche, it shouldn't be a problem. Therefore, all you did was just sat on the bench and watch the game from the sidelines.

5th Minute

Starting the game steadily, Bilbao were just passing the ball around the back to pick out moments and settle into the game. However, almost immediately one of the defenders has already made a costly mistake. Iñigo Martinez was being a bit too complacent at the back and got caught out in possession by Sergio Camello who squares it back into the centre for Oscar Trejo. With a half open goal in front of him, it was impossible to miss and sure enough Oscar Trejo tucks the ball into the net and Rayo Vallecano take an early lead. Nothing Unai Simon could do to keep that one out.

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-1 Rayo Vallecano de Madrid

62nd Minute

After taking the lead, Rayo Vallecano played very defensively trying to hold out the lead they have. Which means no matter how much Bilbao had the ball, the Vallecano defence was very tricky to break down. Iker Munian tried his best to work some magic in the centre of the pitch but Pathé Ciss takes it away with a clean tackle then lays it off to Isi Palazón. Spotting Sergi Camello on the run in behind Yeray Alvarez and Iñigo Martinez, Palazón plays a through ball towards Sergi Camello. With the run timed perfectly Sergi Camello was through on goal and slotting it along the ground the ball crept past Unai Simon's near post and strikes the net. It was 2-0 to the visitors. Things were going from bad to worse for Bilbao.

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-2 Rayo Vallecano de Madrid

You were getting a little bit frustrated on the bench as Bilbao can't fight back at all. Playing Alex Berenguer was not the same. There was just no creativity in the team and no attacking threat. Bilbao needed a player to bring on more attacking threat. The manager seemed to acknowledge this problem as well but despite calling you to warm up, the manager only brought on Ander Herrera for midfield reinforcement and Raul Garcia for attacking threat. You were getting more frustrated when the manager knew you were capable of changing the game but didn't bring you. You have no idea why he made this decision, but you just kept your mouth shut. 

Sure enough, Bilbao did not hit back from the 2 goal deficit. Rayo Vallecano went away this game with all three points. It was not looking good. Two losses in five games and it looks like the team was entering a slump. All you could do now is just to train with the team and focus on the next one against Almería before the international break.