Chapter 23 | Sevilla Away

You left Rosé's house quickly and rushed back to the training facility straight away. The reason you were in such a rush was partly because you want to make the trip to Seville, but mainly it was awkward staying in your boss's house in bed with her and naked. You just need to find an excuse get out of there and this was your perfect escape. Thankfully, your Uber arrived before things could get more awkward and soon you were on your way towards the training facility and preparing for the away trip to Seville, with a lot of thoughts running through your mind.

The team arrived at Seville with high spirits despite the manager Ernesto Valverde looking like he might be losing the dressing room, the form has been great and the team was with high hopes of winning this game. Despite you were not going to start this game, you managed to keep the complaints to yourself, after all you didn't want to cause any troubles that could jeopardise your future at this club. Therefore, after the warm ups you head towards the bench and sat down with the rest of the players who was not part of the starting lineup. 

4th Minute

Sevilla had kickoff and they were maintaining the ball pretty well, trying to control the game right from the start. It has been at least three minutes since kick off that Sevilla has kept hold of possession. Attacking on the right hand side, Papu Gomez holding up play with Alex Berenguer and Iñigo Lekue trying to hold him off. With two Bilbao defenders trying to win the ball off Papu Gomez, it meant that Gonzalo Montiel was able to underlap on the right freely without anyone marking. Skilfully Papu Gomez managed to lay the ball off to Gonzalo Montiel who put a low cross into the box. Kasper Dolberg on the flick which caused chaos but Oliver Torres managed to get the decisive touch and put the ball into the back of the net. It was a quick start to Sevilla and a dream start for the home side as the home crowd cheered after the early goal, giving them hope of climbing up the table from their poor start to this season. Bilbao, with all the work to do, having the worst possible start to the game. 0% possession and now a goal down after 4 minutes of play.

Sevilla Fútbol Club 1-0 Athletic Club Bilbao

Half Time

The first half was pretty boring, Sevilla were holding the upper hand against Bilbao. After taking the early lead, Sevilla defended very deep and controlled possession very well. Which means Bilbao have no chance at using the ball at all, even if Bilbao had the ball, it was difficult for Bilbao to bring the ball forwards towards the final third. Something needs to be changed, especially with the attacking options. There were a few attacking options on the bench and you were amongst one of them.

"What the f*** was that half. Show me something else in the second half, the performance in the first half is unacceptable" Ernesto Valverde shouted at all the players, clearly not happy with how the team played in the first half.

"Boss, I have a suggestion" team leader Raul Garcia spoke up "how about we give Y/N a chance, he proved that he can change the game and he might be useful in these situation" Raul Garcia continued with his suggestion.

You felt touched when veteran and Raul Garcia spoke up for you, you knew you were capable in changing the game but you also knew you were not going to get a chance in the team.

"I'll think about it, you know it's not that easy" Ernesto Valverde replied.

Second Half

You continued to sit on the bench for the second half. However, soon into the half the manager told you to go and warm up with a few other of your teammates. You and new signing Ander Herrera head to the sidelines near the travelling Bilbao fans for the warmup which caused some boos and displeasure from the travelling fans.

"They still haven't got over the fact that the club signed you" Ander Herrera asked as he heard the boos.

You just nodded in response and continued your warm up routine.

Bilbao were still struggling to change the game or find any attacking threat. The only change from the first half was that you were allowed to watch the game from the sidelines instead of from the bench. 

56th Minute

It was time for a change and the manager waved the players who were warming up on the sidelines over to the dugout to receive final instructions. You weren't sure if you were going to be on the pitch or not but you went over to see what the manager had in mind about this change.

"Right, we're making a double sub in midfield. Ander you're going on for Oihan as a deep lying playmaker hopefully we'll be more creative in the deeper areas on the pitch and Mikel you're coming on for Dani" Ernesto Valverde said as he gave out the final instructions.

Once again, you weren't in the plans of the manager. But you were given a little bit of hope as the manager told you to continue warming up on the sidelines.

"Double substitution for Bilbao, coming off the pitch, number 8 Oihan Sancet and number 14 Dani Garcia, coming on the pitch number 23 Ander Herrera and number 6 Mike Vesga" the stadium announced the change.

73rd Minute

It was difficult to break through the Sevilla defence and Bilbao has resorted to pumping crosses into the box. This was the last resort, the only form of hope for Bilbao to score a goal and get back into the game. However, it wasn't really working that well as the Sevilla defenders are heading everything away. Oscar de Marcos with a right footed cross from the right hand side of the box was headed away by Marcão. However, the clearance landed on the path of Mike Vesga. Without thinking, Mikel Vesga struck the volley first time and the ball flew straight into the net as the away fans cheered on after what they saw. It was a magnificent goal, probably the goal of the season. What a volley, you were shocked whilst watching it from the sidelines. This goal is not just goal of the season, but it also puts Bilbao back into the game. About 15 minutes to go and it was all square.

Sevilla Fútbol Club 1-1 Athletic Club Bilbao

88th Minute

Finally, the manager was acknowledging that you need to come on and hopefully change the game. At this stage, Bilbao wanted the three points but Sevilla was happy with the point they have, which means that the club need more attacking options. With Raul Garcia also on the pitch, the only attacking option left on the bench was you and the manager told you to take your bib off and prepare to come onto the pitch.

There were minor booing as you were receiving final touch line instructions from the manager as the fans were not happy that the non Basque player was once again going to be brought on to the pitch wearing the shirt of their beloved club.

However, as you were getting final instructions from the manager, Sevilla were on the attack. Oliver Torres passes the ball to Youssef En-Nesyri who quickly squares it back towards Erik Lamela. Ander Herrera who was marking Lamela trodded on the back of Lamela's heel and the referee immediately gave a foul and a yellow card. Despite the initial decision from the referee, VAR checked it and the yellow card was overruled and Ander Herrera was sent off. Now this spells trouble, because Bilbao who were chasing a goal are down to 10 man. Momentum has swung back to Sevilla's way.

"Ok, forget it. Y/N sit back down, we're down to 10 men we need to defend. Unai Vendecor, you're going on for Alex Berenguer" Ernesto Valverde told you.

You were not happy, but you understood why the manager did this. To protect the point, as you wore the bib and sat back down onto the bench, frustrated that you were taken away yet more game time. You weren't the one to complain this time, because the change worked as Bilbao held out the draw to the end of the game and take home the singular point.

Full Time

Sevilla Fútbol Club 1-1 Athletic Club Bilbao