Chapter 16 | So What

"There's a massive protest in the city centre about the club. It was about me joining the club and me playing for the club. I don't think the fans like me at all" you said to the 

"And......?" Ernesto Valverde asked.

Everyone then turned their attention to you, wondering if you have anything else to say. All you could do is just look back at them not knowing what else you could add. The room was once again filled with silence. It was awkward as they thought you have something big to talk about.

"What do you mean and, there's no and. That's the situation" you said, breaking the second wave with silence.

"Listen Y/N, we know about the protests. We were aware of the situation for a long time, we know what the fans want and what the fans hate, we were actually discussing about how to solve this problem which was quite nice to see you here so we could brainstorm together" Mikel Gonzalez said.

"I really don't know what to do that's why I'm here to ask you about your suggestions" you replied.

"Anyways let me tell you the whole situation" Mikel Gonzalez said "It all begun when the club was took over by the South Korean consortium that included Miss Park here......" as Mikel started telling you the whole story......

It all started when a consortium from South Korea decided to buy Athletic Club Bilbao, this move has already started to unsettle the fans knowing that their beloved club would be owned by a group of people who aren't from the Basque Country, especially when Rosé was appointed as president of the club. Because Athletic Club Bilbao are from the autonomous area of Basque and has a big tradition of only signing players who have been trained or born in the Basque Country since 1912. It was all regarding the Basque nationalism, and the club was once a supporter of the Basque nationalism. Despite the managerial and coaching roles being eligible for people from outside the Basque Country, the club will always try to keep the people within the club as local as possible.

The last player before you to be a foreign player to play for was Manchester City defender Aymeric Laporte. However, Laporte was qualified for Basque nationality and also eligible to play for the Spanish National Football Team which he switched to in 2021. You were really the first non Basque, non Spanish player who have no links to Basque Country at all to sign for the club.

Despite the tradition, there were people who argued that this signing policy was discriminating certain players and there was a time where people wanted to abolish this signing policy. However, there were more people who supported this tradition than they were against it. With Inaki Williams being the first player with African descent joining the club and this policy promoting and exposing a lot of Basque players to play high level football, it has improved the level of Basque footballers and the voice of abolishing this tradition died down very quickly.

Fast forwarding to now, with new South Korean owners and a South Korean club president, the club vision has changed drastically. Rosé wanted to make Athletic Club Bilbao a successful team both on and off the pitch and increase worldwide reputation. Which is why she sent the scouts over to South Korea where they discovered you. You were still young, a player with a lot of potential but also a player who is capable to play in a high level football. So the club decided to bring you over before someone else could sign you which ended up causing even bigger problems within the fanbase.

"...... we know signing a foreign player would cause a big problem within the fanbase but when a player like your calibre shows up, we would be stupid to not sign him. We do care about the tradition but we also want the club to improve. So what we signed a South Korean footballer? We thought performance on the pitch would solve the problem but turns out it didn't" Mikel Gonzalez finished off the story.

"Anyways what do you guys think, have you got any solutions for this problem?" Rosé asked.

"I mean the fans doesn't like the player, so the only thing we could do is get him out of the club as soon as possible" Mikel Gonzalez suggested.

"Not happening" Ernesto Valverde interrupted "Y/N is a quality footballer and if we transfer list it will weaken our team and strengthen the opponents" the manager said as everyone looked at him.

"What do you think Y/N" Mikel Gonzalez asked you as he looked over to you.

"I'm happy playing my football here, I fit in well with my teammates and I think it's best for my development to stay playing at a high level football" you said.

"So we all agree that Y/N can't leave the club?" Ernesto Valverde asked as everyone nodded.

"It is impossible to keep Y/N here and make the fans happy at the same time" Mikel Gonzalez said "we could put him in Basconia for a few years and claim that he is Basque trained in a few years" Mikel continued.

"I don't think that's the best option for the development of Y/N" Ernesto Valverde said "how would the fans react if we try and loan him out to another team in the Basque Country?" the manager suggested.

"That could work, but we've lost Alaves and Eibar in the La Liga so that might hinder his development" the manager then continued.

"Yeah that could work, I'll try and see if I could contact Real Sociedad or anything, that way he could potentially be more Basque trained" Mikel Gonzalez said.

You didn't know what to expect. You have only been with your new club for a few months and because of external factors, you were told that you might need to leave very soon. It was one of the nightmares that a footballer does not want to face. Moving clubs just after a recent move is never a thing that a footballer would want to face. But it looks like there was no other choice, the club has already decided your future.

"Y/N, would that work for you?" Rosé asked snapping you back into reality.

"Ummmm, I guess" you replied.

"It's OK, you don't have to give us a response this quickly. Go back and have a think and we'll think about some other solutions in the meantime" Mikel added.

"Excellent, if that's everything I think that concludes the meeting today" Rosé said as all three of you stood up and headed for the door.

As you walked towards the door, Rosé suddenly called you out telling you to stay behind.

"Actually, Y/N, can you stay behind for a while" Rosé said.