Chapter 20 | Squad Dynamics

After your really good game against Almería, you were 100% sure that you would be back in the first team squad and starting the next game against Sevilla. It was a big game and a game that involves two teams with high quality players, even though the standings that Sevilla were in doesn't reflect it. Nevertheless, you made sure to work hard in training, putting your best performances in at training in hope to secure a starting spot for the game against Sevilla. You were probably one of the best performing players in training ever since the Almería game and there was no way with the performances you have been putting in doesn't reward you a spot in the starting lineup. 

Once training was finished, you and all your teammates went straight into the changing room to get changed so you could get some rest before travelling to Seville tomorrow morning. It was an away game so you all would meet at the training ground to board the coach that would take the whole team to Seville and prepare for the game at the weekend. Whilst you guys were cooling down in the changing room after training, the manager suddenly walked into the changing room.

"Right señors, as you know tomorrow we will be travelling to Seville. This will be a difficult game, the most difficult game that we might face at the start of this season so I would like to do something different and announce the lineup now so you guys can digest it on the way" the manager Ernesto Valverde announced.

It wasn't anything new to you, whenever the manager comes into the changing room after a training session before an away travelling day, it was always some announcement that would directly relate to the next away game the team would be travelling to.

"Anyways, despite Sevilla being 18th in the La Liga, we still have to be very careful and change a little bit because they are a very strong team......" Ernesto Valverde started his announcement

Finally, the change that the manager was talking about surely was the change that you were hoping for. The change that puts you back into the starting lineup. You were full of hope and happiness that your hard work has finally been rewarded with your name back into the starting lineup.

"...... so here's the starting lineup. There are some changes but it will basically be the same. So Unai Simón will be starting in net like always, one change to the back four with Jon Morcillo coming in to partner Óscar de Marcos as full backs for more wide attacking threats, Yeray Álvarez and Iñigo Martinez will continue to play at centre back. Midfield trio is basically unchanged only Mikel Vesga coming in for Dani García partnering Oihan Sancet and Iker Muniain in a more attacking role. Front three, exactly the same, Alex Berenguer and Nico Williams on the wing and Iñaki Williams up front" Ernesto Valverde announced as he turned the tactics board around and continued discussing the tactics which was pretty much the same as the past games.

At that moment, you were shocked and disappointed at the same time. You could not believe that once again you were left out of the starting lineup. You have put in the effort, you have changed the game when you came on and you really deserved to have a sport in the starting lineup. You were frustrated that you always had to come on in a negative situation and make an impact then, you wanted to start some games and you wanted to start the game against Sevilla.

"Here's the squad for tomorrow. If there aren't any questions or suggestions, have some rest tonight and I'll see you all tomorrow 9am here before we set off to Seville" Ernesto Valverde finished his announcement.

Before the manager could leave the changing room, you suddenly spoke up, voicing your concerns about yourself not being in the starting lineup.

"Ummm gaffer, I have something I wanted to say" you spoke up.

"Sure, go on Y/N" Ernesto Valverde stopped his tracks to let you speak.

"I know this sounds a little bit selfish, but with the way I played in the last game and my impressive training form shouldn't I get a start for the Sevilla game?" you asked with an annoyed and frustrating tone.

"Y/N, I know you are new to this team and have made a positive impact on the pitch. But we have other talented players in the squad, I can't put you in the team just because you want to be in the team" Ernesto Valverde replied.

"But I really deserve a place in the starting lineup, don't you guys agreed" you argued back trying to get the squad involved.

Some of the squad nodded at your comments, most of the players knew the impact you brought to the team and some of them clearly approved your point of argument here.

"Is that so? How does the majority of the squad feel about this situation?" Ernesto Valverde asked the whole squad.

The majority of the squad nodded in response, but that didn't seem to change the manager's stance on the starting lineup.

"You know what, I don't care. My mind is set, I'll see you all 9am here tomorrow. Y/N, if you aren't happy about being on the bench then I suggest you to not come tomorrow, the fans doesn't want you here anyways" Ernesto Valverde said as he stormed out the changing room.

It was safe to say that Ernesto Valverde was losing the dressing room. Like the fans, Ernesto Valverde was starting to dislike you, which was never a good thing. When you are a player that was hated by the fans and the manager, everything could fall apart.

"Hey Y/N, it's alright. Everything will work it's way through soon. I was in the B Team for a long time before getting regular football here in the first team and back then I was already one of the best midfielder this club had" Oihan Sancet came over to you and said.

"But it's just so unfair. Just because the fans hate me and kept booing me when I'm on the pitch doesn't mean that I don't deserve a spot in the lineup" you replied.

"Yeah I know, we all know. We're all supporting you here, we know you deserve more starts, don't we everyone?" Oihan Sancet asked everyone in the changing room.

"YES" everyone shouted their response in unison.

This definitely lighten up your mood a little bit, however, despite the whole squad supporting you it still doesn't give you a start against Sevilla and you were devastated at that fact.

"Anyways, what you want to do is go back forget about this. Come here tomorrow 9am and board the bus like nothing has happened. You can't cause a big reaction or else the manager will just take advantage of that and offload you. Whatever you do, don't let the manager have the upper hand in this situation and find an excuse to sell you. See you tomorrow amigo" team leader Dani Garcia said to you before he left.

Your teammates one by one left the changing room and head back to their respective homes, leaving you all alone there thinking about what just happened. You were very frustrated about the situation and was not happy at the how the manager handled it, you grabbed your water bottle and threw it against the changing room door in anger.

WHAM