Chapter 26 | Easing Back

***Author's Note at the bottom of the chapter***

With Ernesto Valverde's job seemingly being at risk, he needs to turn things around and produce some results immediately. However, it wasn't going to be easy given the fixtures coming up. The next game was Atletico de Madrid at home then away at Getafe CF and then away at the Camp Nou against FC Barcelona. It was a tough fixture list and getting a big haul of points seems impossible. This puts Ernesto Valverde in even more pressure than he currently is in, this was not the fixture list he needed. However, Ernesto Valverde is confident that the team will be able to pick up a few points in the next three games.

Once again, you will be starting from the bench this game again. Despite the team meeting that Ernesto Valverde held making promises to the squad, nothing seemed to have changed. The only change to the team against Sevilla last time out was Mikel Vesga coming in to replace Dani Garcia. It was disappointing, but you knew you need to give it some time and put in the effort to earn a starting spot at the team.

As for the manager, Ernesto Valverde, he have other ideas and plans for you, a secret weapon of sort to hopefully help him keep his job, something which you will find out later.

4th Minute

Atletico de Madrid are known to be a team that is going to be difficult to score past. They have one of the strongest defence in La Liga so Athletic Club Bilbao must take all their chances and leave no crumbs if they want to score a goal. Chances were rare but one happened 4 minutes after kick off. A free kick on the left hand side of the pitch outside the box, Iker Muniain put in a right footed in swinger towards the box which finds Iñaki Williams unmarked in the box who rises up and tried to use his head to direct the ball towards goal. However, this was just over the bar. No goal and chance missed.

8th Minute

After that free kick chance, Atletico de Madrid continued to play their famous cautious football which meant playing it around the back, keeping possession and trying to spot that one long ball forwards which would lead to a goal. Nahuel Moline found that opportunity from the right hand side of the pitch and played a long ball forward for Alvaro Morata to chance. Alvaro Morata used all his strength to try and shove Yeray Alvarez off the ball which he successfully does. Controlling the ball, Alvaro Morata dribbles over the goalkeeper Unai Simon and tucks the ball into the back of the open net.

Goal, Atletico de Madrid, the referee blew and pointed straight to the centre circle. However, moments later with the Athletic Club Bilbao players arguing and protesting to the referee, the referee halted play and listened into his earpiece. With both sides of the players placing their case to try and get things go their way, the referee stood still and held the ball in his hands, listening to what VAR had to say about this controversial goal. Soon, the referee had a decision which was announced by the stadium systems.,

VAR Decision: Foul, No Goal

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-0 Atletico de Madrid

Half Time

It was time, with the game going on like this, no goals and barely any chances created by either teams. Time for Ernesto Valverde's secret weapon, which involves you. Like many of the team said, you were the player who could change games and it was time to ease you back into the team doing what you do best. Trying to turn this deadlock into a win. Before the second half begun, you stood next to the fourth official and prepared to come on.

Like always, you received boos from the home crowd as you came on the pitch. You already got used to it. The fans still didn't like you even after all this months of being in the club. Nevertheless, you were tasked to played differently compared to how the team played in the first half. Replacing Oihan Sancet in the central midfield you will not play in a more advanced role trying to run behind the Atletico de Madrid defenders, bit like a false 9.

46th Minute

However, before the team could even change tactics, Atletico de Madrid were straight on the attack from kickoff. Rodrigo de Paul laying the ball off to Nahuel Molina who plays a through ball to Alvaro Morata, from three passes Atletico de Madrid were already in the final third and very near the box. Alvaro Morata squaring the ball back near the penalty spot, the pass finds Antoine Griezmann unmarked and with a low powerful shot, the French striker directs the ball into the bottom corner of the net completely catching out goalkeeper Unai Simon. Now Athletic Club Bilbao were really 1-0 down and they didn't even have a chance to try out the new game plan for the second half. It was the worst time to concede a goal.

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-1 Atletico de Madrid

83rd Minute

This game was truly boring. With Atletico de Madrid winning 1-0, they started to park the bus and defended the slender lead they have. Keeping possession and playing cautiously meant that Athletic Club Bilbao had a hard time trying to win the ball and play possession. However, there were some chances for the home side to equalise. Oscar de Marcos created one by crossing in a ball towards the back post from the right flank, rising up to meet the cross was veteran Raul Garcia who sets it back to the middle which somehow finding you charging in from outside the box. Stretching your legs as far as they will go you tried to make some contact with the ball. Any contact will turn it into a goal. However, before you could reach the ball, Ivo Grbic quickly parried the ball away from danger. All the home fans started booing once again at your poor attempt.

87th Minute

Athletic Club Bilbao continued to pile on the pressure which led to a corner. Alex Berenguer to take from the left hand side of the pitch with an in swinger. It was a perfect corner as it finds Inigo Martinez who was free of anyone defending and had an attempt on goal with a header. Ivo Grbic reacted perfectly and parried the ball away. Anywhere will do, anywhere but the path of Dani Vivian who takes a shot hitting Reinildo Mandava's head. The referee suddenly blows for a penalty with all the Atletico de Madrid players charging at him. Once again, using VAR the stadium announced the final decision of the referee

VAR Decision: No Penalty

90th + 5 Minutes

Continuing to pile on the pressure trying to chase an equaliser, this was really the last attack. The ball somehow finds Alex Berenguer on the left hand side of the box. Alex Berenguer puts in a low cross that was too strong for front post Inaki Williams to take the shot. Luckily you were charging in towards from the back post. This was your moment, this might just be your moment to score an all important goal and get a crucial point to win over some fans. You struck the ball with your instep perfectly. However an player in orange came flying in front of you and blocked the shot. You didn't even know who it was but it was a great block to deny a clear goal scoring opportunity. With another missed chance, you knew your moment was gone. You were eased back into the team and had moments in the game but failed to take them which meant the fans were even less impressed on your performance. Despite changing the game and creating more chances, you failed to take advantage of these said chances and the fans were more than happy to show their disappointment by booing at you. You covered your head with your shirt in disappointment and walked off the pitch as the referee blew the final whistle with boos all around the San Memes directed at you.

Athletic Club Bilbao 0-1 Atletico de Madrid

Full Time

Yes hello everyone, after a long break I am back to writing this book. Sorry for the long wait on this chapter but I have been extremely busy with my life and university. Hopefully you guys enjoyed it and is enjoying this book so far. It is a very good plot that I came up with myself and sure enjoyed writing it. I didn't even realise this book has reached 9.5k reads so thank you very much for all your support and please continue to support this and my other works. I am not making promises as it seems like I will only get busier and busier as life goes on but I will try my best to write more frequently in the future so I could finish this book as soon as possible.