Chapter 29 | Missed Opportunity

As you continued to get online abuse over the week, Rosé continued to worry about you. She was constantly asking you how you were doing through text. You both did meet up more than once after that little date you had over the week. But you were mostly focused on the next game against Getafe CF. It wasn't a big game, but it was a game where the team had a high chance of gaining back some points in the table. Which is why you keep on ignoring what people say about you on social media and focused on preparing for the game. 

Your training form has been amazing so far and with the change of tactics involving you worked out pretty well against Atletico de Madrid last game, you were rewarded with your first league start for a while. You were determined to give the best to the club and cherish this opportunity to not only to secure your starting position in the future but also hopefully to win the fans over.  Prior to this game, Ernesto Valverde also made a few changes to hopefully be able to get the important three points in this fixutre.

First Half

1st Minute

Getafe CF away was not an easy game, they were a team who were strong at the back as well. But having kick off meant that Athletic Club Bilbao could take the initiative and your club sure did made use of kick off and took advantage with it. Doing what you do best, you ran in the channels of the Getafe CF defence and Ander Herrera lifted the ball into the box. Managing to capitalise on the outwards running defensive line, you ran into the box from around the 20 yard mark making a clinical touch to avoid Domingos Duarte and tucked the ball through the legs of goalkeeper David Soria scoring the first goal of the game and the first goal since your La Liga debut. Once you saw the ball roll into the back of the net, you ran towards the corner flag to celebrate as your teammates chased after you. Obviously there were some boos in the crowd, not as loud as the time you scored on your debut because there weren't as many fans but you could still hear the voice of displeasure from the Basque based fans. Nevertheless, you ignored all the booing noises and celebrated before preparing for kick off. Athletic Club Bilbao draw first blood in the game.

Getafe CF 0-1 Athletic Club Bilbao

62nd Minute

The first half went really well, tactically the club was doing what Ernesto Valverde asked for tactically. For the second half, Athletic Club Bilbao continued the playing the way they were in the first half. Once again, you were running along the channels of the Getafe CF back 5. With Nico Williams charging down the right wing, you made your way along into the box with Raul Garcia. As Nico Williams crossed the ball into the box, you ran towards the front post and dragged two Getafe CF defenders with you. Leaving the ball to continue it's path towards the centre of the box, the loose ball was picked up by an unmarked Raul Garcia who took the shot. The ball rolled past David Soria and hit the back of the net giving a two goal lead to Athletic Club Bilbao. Raul Garcia dragged you into the celebrations with Nico Williams acknowledging that this goal won't happen if you weren't there to drag the two defenders away. This time, the goals were received with cheers from the Basque based fans. It looks like it would be a smooth sailing for Athletic Club Bilbao now with a two goal cushion.

Getafe CF 0-2 Athletic Club Bilbao

70th Minute

Athletic Club Bilbao continued piling up the pressure, trying to fight for a third. However, Getafe CF have also tightened their defence to make your life more difficult. This means that you are now often dropping deep towards the midfield to create chances and space. The team has sent Inaki Williams to help you in the channels but it wasn't really effective. Dropping deep, you got the ball just ahead of the centre circle, trying to pick out a forward pass. However, the moment you made the turn Djene Dakonam stole the ball from you and Getafe CF now have a chance to break quickly. Pumping a long ball into the box Enes Ünal held off the Athletic Club Bilbao centre backs and laid the ball off for Carles Aleña who makes the sweetest connection with the lowering ball and takes it past goalkeeper Unai Simon. It was a mistake from you that led to this goal. Now the Getafe CF fans started to come into life as their club got a goal back with 20 minutes to go. 

Getafe CF 1-2 Athletic Club Bilbao

75th Minute

After that goal, Getafe CF seemed to play with more confidence. Constantly testing out the Athletic Club Bilbao defence. Once again, Carles Aleña got the ball in the midfield, this time through no fault of you. Catching the gap between Iñigo Lekue and Iñigo Martinez, freshly substituted striker Munir El Haddadi made the run in behind the pair of Athletic Club Bilbao defenders and received the through ball from Carles Aleña, through to being one on one with the goalkeeper, the Moroccan striker hit the ball hard and fast with the ball heading towards the top of the net. There was no way Unai Simon was going to keep that out. As the ball struck the net, the Coliseum Alfonso Perez erupted as all the home fans celebrated wildly seeing their team come back from 2-0 down to equalising. 

Getafe CF 2-2 Athletic Club Bilbao

90th + 4 Minutes

It looks like this game would end in a 2-2 draw with the points shared between the teams. Getafe CF dropped back to defend the draw which meant your life as a roaming attacker became more and more difficult. You were playing like an advanced playmaker now more than a shadow striker. Dropping deep or going wide to get the ball and see how you could use it. Once again, you found yourself near the flank. Oier Zarraga laid the ball off you for one final chance before the whistle blew. Using your pace, you charged into the box beating Fabrizio Angileri. There were Raul Garcia and Alex Berenguer in the box, but you decided to go for it and have a shot. Leaning back was never a good idea when taking a shot, you did it nevertheless as you see the ball rising over the ball. It was a poor shot and poor decision from you, another last minute chance missed by you. You weren't happy about it, nor was Raul Garcia and Alex Berenguer. It was a frustrating day for Athletic Club Bilbao, yet more points dropped as the referee blew the final whistle.

Getafe CF 2-2 Athletic Club Bilbao

Full Time