5 • The Maze

Draco, Pansy, Theodore, Jade, Blaise and Crabbe had entered the maze already. The maze itself was huge as it covered a large area of the Malfoy estate. No one knew how long it would take to even finish it.

You stood at its entrance, your mind going back to the Triwizard tournament. The death of Cedric Diggory was devastating. The rumours how it happened were many. No one really knew what to believe. You didn't know either.

After such a tragedy, the Malfoy family just built their own maze? Just like that?

That's fucking cold.

And not surprising at all.

Pike and Goyle were sat on a bench next to the entrance. They weren't going in.

«We'll just stay here», Pike said and had a sip of beer. «In case something happens», Goyle added and nodded at you, almost as if he could read the worry on your face.

«Thanks», you replied. Goyle gave you a beer to bring.

«We're rooting for you», Pike said and winked. You stuck your tongue out to him.

«If Potter managed to do it, you'll be fine», Goyle pointed out and laughed. Their hatred for the Potter boy didn't match your feelings towards him. But you wouldn't say that out loud. However, you didn't like him much either, but hating someone was a bit too harsh.

«Sure», you said, rolling your eyes. You had a sip from the beer you'd been given, making a funny face at the taste. It obviously wasn't your favourite. But it was definitely needed.

«Here Y/N», Pike said and handed you his emerald green hoodie. «It's going to get colder out, and we don't know how long you'll be in there», he added. You looked at him and he smiled awkwardly.

«That's very nice of you, Pike», you said as you took the hoodie out of his hands. «Here, hold my beer for a second».

You put on Pike's hoodie on top of the black sweatshirt you were already wearing, one you had matched with a black skirt and thigh-high black boots. The hoodie was an oversized fit on you, but it made you feel snug. «Thank you», you said and reached out for your beer. You noticed the sleeves on Pike's hoodie had stains from dinner, it made you chuckle.

«Oh, yeah, sorry about that», he said scratching the back of his head. His cheeks rosy.

«No worries, Pike», you gave him a reassuring look.

Goyle stood up and quickly pushed another beer in the pocket of your hoodie. «Uh, you might need this too», he said. Pike pushed his shoulder, «what? She might get... more thirsty», Goyle defended himself. Pike rolled his eyes.

«Thanks guys», you giggled and started walking, «I'll see you later».

-

You didn't know how long you'd been in there. But you had finished the first beer ages ago. You had decided to use the bottle to mark a spot in the maze, so you'd know that you had already been there. By this time you had already passed it seven times.

Thanking Pike internally for the hoodie, you pulled it further up to your chin. Feeling like it had been a while since you'd seen the bottle you'd left, you started hoping you were finally going the right way.

Suddenly you heard giggles coming from not too far away. You walked slowly past the bushes next to you, stopping right before a corner where you had the choice of going left or right. The noise seemed to come from the left. Hoping that it would be Jade, you figured you could at least team up with someone. You peeked around the corner to see nothing, but decided to explore the way further. Having another sip of beer you walked ahead, trying not to make too much noise. «Jade?» you whispered.