98 • Protect You

A/N: Let's continue the drama.

**

He was right. Scarlet wasn't going to remember this birthday party.

So when Snape stormed out, you knew that leaving the party behind was the right thing to do. Suddenly the situation in the shop seemed so silly, and you felt regretful of how cold you had been. It was, after all, obvious to you that he wasn't the best at handling social encounters.

When you were left staring at the door, with a crying child on your hip, you felt a hand on your shoulder. Turning, you peered teary eyed at the person it belonged to. It was Madam Pomfrey.

«You go after him, I'll take care of her, okay? Come back when you're ready», she reassured you, causing your tears to fall right away by her kindness.

«Madam, you're just too precious», you whispered and sniffled, «thank you», you added and handed her the crying girl. She began swaying her back and forth to calm her.

«I'm sorry everyone», you said as your voice hitched in your throat, «please, enjoy the food».

You hoisted up your dress and began running.

-

It didn't surprise you that the dark wizard returned to the safety of his chambers. He liked to retreat from social situations, and preferred his own space. He would always go back there.

«Severus?», you cried out as you opened the door he had not locked. Wiping your eyes with your hand you searched his sittingroom, but he wasn't there.

«I'm sorry», you yelled out as the hot tears kept coming. Hoping it would stop, you squeezed your eyelids shut. But your watery eyes remained the same, as well as your choppy breathing. «What they said isn't true», you added desperately.

You found him sitting quietly on his bed, back against the door. «Severus, please-»

«Leave», his deep voice replied calmly.

«No», you protested and wiped your face again, «all the horrible things they said are not true». You climbed onto the bed and crawled up behind him, «they are terrible people and they weren't supposed to be there — you were».

Snape's breathing was unsteady as his anxiety was devouring him from the inside. The situation had elicited a train of destructive thoughts, some of them made him think the best would be to just push you away.

Because he was not good enough. You deserved better than this. He needed to protect you from... him.

«You should go», he replied and cleared his throat, hoping you would listen right away. If you stayed any longer he feared he wouldn't be able to let you go. «Please», he pleaded.

«No», you protested again and put your hands on his back, sliding them up to his neck. Wrapping your arms around him from behind you kissed the back of his head, «I said I'd never leave you», you whispered. It sent a line of shivers down his spine, and he hated how much he wanted to cave. But at the same time, he was convinced this was right, for you.

He clenched his jaw and closed his eyes, «Y/N». The way he said your name felt heartbreaking to you. It was so cold. «Go away», he warned.

«No», you hissed and held him tighter. Snape began feeling lightheaded as his throat tightened. And his chin trembled a little. This wasn't the first time the same destructive thoughts had swirled his mind, as he had worried before that a future with him wasn't good for you. It definitely wasn't the best for you, he thought.

«Go», he repeated in a growl, hoping expressing anger would overshadow his sadness.

Your next word came out in a broken whisper, «why?»