96 • Should Have

Smut ahead.

**

«What about the book?», you asked Snape and gazed towards the very shelf you knew the little book resided. He had been very emotional about it, which was very unfortunate for him as it only caused you to be all the more curious.

You were still sat in the professor's lap when he let out a sigh and accio'ed the book into his grasp.

«Minnie gave me this», he explained in a low murmur, «it was a birthday gift».

«How thoughtful», you pointed out and tried to take it from his hand but he jerked his arm away and glared at you pointedly. «What?»

Snape cleared his throat, «you won't like what's inside», he replied in a deep drawl, and you noticed how his face tensed.

«Unless it's love letters to someone else then-»

He huffed, «it is not».

«You promised to tell me what's in it», you pointed out and peered into his eyes, «so?»

The wizard stared at the book in his hand, but when his black eyes found you he sighed, «it's a.. letter indeed. But not a love letter of sorts. More a.. letter of goodbye»

«Goodbye?», you asked curiously, your voice low.

«The words in this book came to be only days before the war began. In case I wouldn't live to see another season, I found it necessary, in a way, to leave a trace», he explained, but seemed pained by it. You linked your arms around his neck again and hugged him tight.

«How foolish of you to think there wouldn't be any other traces of your life left behind», you pointed out in a whisper as you'd closed your eyes, «can I read it, please?»

Snape paused for a moment as he simply enjoyed your hold on him. The version of him that had poured his heart out into that notebook would've killed for this moment.

«I don't think-»

«Please, Severus», you pleaded as you pulled away and looked into his eyes, «if I can't read it, then.. will you read it to me?»

He clenched his jaw, «it is all in the past and I'd like for it to stay that way. I am not in need of its reminder any longer. You may read it, but then I'd want two things to happen once you've done so; one, throw it in the fire so it'll be destroyed, and two, don't ask any questions».

You furrowed your eyebrows, «oh, alright», you murmured and held out your hand for him to give you the book. He reluctantly did so. All emotion washed away from his face as his shield of cold dismay returned.

Straddling him, you opened the book between your chests. Snape looked away and regretted he hadn't asked you to read it someplace else. But he was enjoying your proximity too much to mention it.

****

It doesn't matter how high you build your walls when you let people use the door. And when so many enters, and leaves right away; then you learn to lock it and keep the rest at bay. I lost that key a long time ago, and so when people come knocking; there's no letting them through. Until I met you.

I never intended to open that door. I never cared for the lost key. But somehow you managed to slide past all the locks; yielded by sorrow, hurt, pain and issues beyond anyone's understanding. Even my own.

My darling, I fear I pushed you away. That unlocking that door wasn't enough. I wasn't prepared for anyone to enter, you could say.