Mask Drop (Chapter 25)

Sagiso POV

"Huh." I blinked over at the Witch and the Knight underneath the tree. A white blanket spread on the ground as they both laid on it, Kiyuri had her arms around Yasunori as she dozed off. The shadow cooled both of them away from the sun, and so the girl who was awake inched closer. Yasunori's ears twitched, but her eyes remained closed.

"...Shh." Kiyuri's head turned to me, she opened those bug eyes and hushed me before she shut them again.

"Oh..." I stepped towards the two of them, my foot barely bothered the grass below me. I sat to the side of Kiyuri, yet away from the blanket. "So... What happened...? Are you two, like, dating now?"

Kiyuri's smile twitched before she giggled, tucked the silver hair of Yasunori behind her ear. "Not really. It's been days since the kiss and she thought long and hard about it, she likes me too. But... Neither of us has asked if we wanted to date."

"Sounds... Complicated." Not one of them wants to make the first move? I thought Kiyuri would do that, but by the way she says it, she doesn't want to ask. Yasunori goes whatever the other wants to do, so she probably wouldn't say anything too. I wonder now if Kaneko has heard about this... She might want to force things again.

"It sure is, but I don't mind. This sweetness and space is enough for me to be happy. I think Mother would be disappointed if I dated someone, even if it was Yasunori-chan." Kiyuri rubbed her chin on top of the curled Yasunori, her tail wrapped around the Mage's legs.

My smile lowered into a sympathetic one as I nodded. Kiyuri's legacy is at stake, they don't need labels if they don't want it. If she's happy this way, I'm happy for both of them then.

"I didn't know she was a little spoon."

"Oh, she loves sleeping and I love cuddling. So when we were young, she would usually sleep somewhere and I would crawl up next to her. It became a habit and now I cuddle her when she sleeps." Kiyuri giggled and opened her eyes to gaze down at the girl in her arms. The glint of her honey eyes fixated on the complexion of Yasunori.

"You two are so cute." Though, it's bittersweet. The two of them are so perfect for each other, yet the situation won't let them be together. Or, at least it feels like it.

I want to guide them into a better future, but...

Kaneko is my main priority. I need to finish this mission, the two can deal with this. Kiyuri seems subservient but if she had got through Kaneko, the bullheaded stubborn princess, she would most likely have enough determination and passion to get through this.

I need to become number one for Marisa.

The princess has a firm grip on my heart, but I'll cut all of the strings that spider gives to me.

These passions of flames that bring smoke to my head is something I need to extinguish, it simply fogs up my true vision. As much as I'd like to be the Prince she desperately wants, I know better than anyone that she will never accept that.

"YURIE, PLEASE HELP ME! MY FIANCE IS CO–" Kaneko dashed into view, and a blob of water slammed onto her mouth to shut her up. Kiyuri's book hovered beside me, an icicle popped out of its pages and it flew in the middle of Kaneko's forehead. When it collided with her skin, it got crushed into mist from how hard Kaneko's body was.

Kaneko tried to grab the water that was stuck around her face, no sounds could come out of her mouth and only gurgles could be heard. Kaneko's face seethed with anger as she gave up and gritted her teeth, Kiyuri only replied with her usual sharp smile. Sparks flew in the middle of their gaze, and I mentally made a sigh while my smile twitched at her.