Where is he?! (Chapter 43)

Kaneko POV

"So... You're telling me you summoned someone else?" Kiyuri sat in front of me, Yasunori had followed right up behind as she placed her partner's tray along with her own.

"Yes."

"And, somehow, she's Tsutsuji's best friend?"

"Why do you have to ask all of this? I just said that a minute ago." I blinked at her while she casually placed a piece of her lunch in Yasunori's mouth. Her eyelids had faced me, so I at least knew she had paid attention.

"Yes. And is it really okay for this little darling to hear all of these things?" Kiyuri brought up a fairly valid point, but I only rolled her eyes at another question thrown at me.

"Do whatever, if you like Sunie, then you must trust her a lot. You know how to choose people, so I won't care." I shrugged it off, and Kiyuri only giggled at me.

"Ara? Is that so... You really do have a wonderful way of showing your loyalty." Kiyuri snickered at me, one of her eyes had opened to only wink at me before it closed once again.

What's the point of winking when her eyes are always closed anyway–

"Though, I am asking so much since it doesn't feel like it would be possible. Summonings come from completely different places, and if that includes different worlds, that's an infinite amount of places you can summon a singular living being from." Kiyuri nodded her head at me while the knight that we had talked about earlier had already napped on her shoulder. Yasunori's tail had wrapped itself around Kiyuri's torso as the light purrs already vibrated the air.

"But it did."

That could be said the same for Jie's summoning.

Yet this seemingly impossible chance had happened TWICE.

"Yet why are you so worried about it? Isn't this more helpful? She knows Tsutsuji better than anyone, she would most likely have the highest chance of summoning her again if you really count it." Kiyuri's words made sense.

But, for some reason, the thorns had really dug itself in my heart.

"Yeah, I guess..." I groaned, my eyes had laid on the feast in front of me, yet the shines only blurred my view. As I cut a steak and popped it into my mouth, I crushed the soft meat with my jaws. The flavor had been just like water, at least compared to what my thoughts were.

Why do I always feel that strange sting whenever that girl is brought up? She literally did nothing wrong, actually, she's so similar to me that I SHOULD like her.

But I suppose the more alike two people are, the easier it is to hate each other.

Like staring at a beautiful mirror that you want to shatter.

Ha.

Or maybe that insecurity that I'm sure died down years ago resurfaced.

I'm thinking nonsense...

As I blinked back into reality, the knife had only scratched the flat part of the plate.

"Kaneko?" Kiyuri called me, and I glanced up as an answer.

"You spaced out. This situation really must be so stressful for you, huh?" Kiyuri chuckled at me, that smile laced with amusement. But, she lifted her hand and patted my head.

"I'm always here for you." She reassured me, but I only shook her palm off.

"Yeah, because I'm so fun to observe as you have said many times." I groaned and stood up, but I caressed Yasunori's ears right after.