Self-aware (Chapter 50)

Kaneko POV

I took a deep inhale and ran my fingers through my hair.

"Listen, just because she's like that doesn't mean she can't change. Everything is not stagnant." I slammed my head down at the pillow. My arm covered my eyes as I groaned.

"I understand, however, that is how she is. I have no right to try and change what she is."

"The hell you mean no right? She's hurting herself, of course you have every right to change her! It doesn't matter if it's the truth or not, because things aren't always going to be the same!" I sat up once again and stared at her straight up with a glare.

"..." She had been silent, but still completely faced me without any fear in her eyes. She pondered to herself for a moment, before she shook her head.

"But some things are never changing."

"And this doesn't include being in that category!" I yelled at her, but since she kept her normal voice I took my time to breath to add on to what I said.

"People especially, they always change. And if you keep Jie from changing for the better, you aren't really helping her. Do you really love her?"

My question made her ruffle her eyebrows and she had to close her eyes for a few moments to open her mouth again.

"People have their own autonomy. If she doesn't want to change, that is completely her choice, I don't have the audacity to try and force her." It was clear that Marisa had some force into those words.

I'm sure what I asked her seriously upset her.

But I don't care.

Marisa needs to see what she has done is wrong, and what she has thought about for so long is completely wrong!

"And so what, you'll just sit there and accept everything that comes your way?" I softened my voice despite my lungs already being filled with air to yell at her.

"Accept that she'll forever be someone who's a slave to the world no matter how much you love her? Are you really going to be okay with that?"

"..." My words had left her silent, and with the air that made my bones chill, I had to open my mouth once again to continue what I wanted her to understand. But not before another breath had come into my head to calm myself again.

I don't want Marisa to hate me.

Because before I knew it, the thought of her disappointment made my head reel.

"Sorry. You just remind me too much of what I used to be." I scratched my neck to try and feel my choker, but it was only my skin.

"... Elaborate." Finally she spoke, and I gulped from how she had a flat tone in her voice. It was almost as if she scolded me just from it, but I knew she was like that because she doesn't want to let her emotions overwhelm her.

"Thinking that taking bullshit is just me being a good girl when in reality I was someone who people could easily push around." I mumbled and scoffed at myself.

"You're strong, Marie. But you need to understand what I mean, right?"

"I'm the opposite of strong." Her words cracked, but her gaze had been kept on me.

"I have a frail body and I only look at the truth as a means to hide behind what I am scared of since I am not used to change." She spat out what she has thought of, and she rubbed her temples from the ache that it caused. Marie ruffled her eyebrows as she inhaled from her teeth.

"A-ah..."

Holy shit, she's self aware.

That makes sense, she is Marie after all.