The Truth (Chapter 41)

Sagiso POV

With bedsheets that scattered around below me, my eyes awoke to a blank ceiling.

"Haah..." I scoffed to myself as I closed my eyes again.

My plan worked.

"Sorry Kaneko... I just... I Need to get away from you." My palms laid on top of my chest, and it gripped my clothes as I groaned. I pressed my lips together, they shivered to hold a neutral expression despite my tears that crashed it down to a frown.

I acted strange because I knew that Princess had an affection towards me.

I'm sure the moment she found out she liked girls was because of me. After all, who else was there to stare at?

That sounds really prideful but in reality I've known about my appearance and the effect I have on women.

I am not blind to my popularity as a masculine cutie at school.

Yasunori was also a big tell, even if she goes along with Kiyuri and other shenanigans, she has emotional reading to rival that of a mind reader. So, if she feels that we like each other, I just trust her.

Of course, she was right about me liking her too.

But that was the problem.

I can't be with her, I have a job to finish, and that is to take care of Marisa. Because in the end, what really matters is her.

I acted more open, spoke more about myself so that Kaneko could understand that she thinks of me as a romantic interest.

Her Prince.

Because the moment she thinks of that, I get teleported out.

"You really are so easy to read, Kaneko..."

Predictable.

Too honest for her own good.

It's a charm that no one else has.

"...I'm so sorry." I could only end this summon with nothing but a whimper that her ears could never hear.

In the end, I only ran away to protect myself. I hurt her, but it was for our own good. I can't let her love me, because I'm stuck in this world no matter how much I try to leave for others.

My existence is temporary, I learned that a long time ago.

She should love someone who would be there for her.

Hah... When did I become so selfish...?

Did her behavior rub off on me...?

I sniffled, shook my head and laid my feet on the ground.

"My emotions don't matter. I need to get back to Marisa."

People pleaser.

Her growls echoed in my head.

"Yeah, I am."

.

.

.

"Marisa."

"Sagiso."

I once again stood in front of the door in that blinding white room. The girl, pale as a ghost, sat on the bed she had pathetically called home, with shelves of books to entertain herself while trapped between the beeps of this hospital.

"Is there something wrong?" Marisa tilted her head as her bright sunny gaze met my bloodied ones.

"Ah...? Why do you ask?"