Brownies

*****Chapter 25 - Brownies*****

*****
Chapter 25 - Brownies
*****

A week passed.

Calliope was forced to do dance after dance all week.

Aiden refused to take the collar and lead off, always keeping her at arms length.

At the sight of any cobra, Calliope was forced upstairs and locked away for the night.

Yet every night when Calliope finally got to try to sleep, chained up to the rail as Sterling snuck in to hold her up, all she tried to dream of was Ace.

How comfortable and safe she felt falling asleep next to him.

Yet she hadn't seen him in so long, part of her was beginning to question if he was still bothered by her.

She would think of Gordie, the little brother she never knew she had. Her mind would go back to when Ace said he'd be okay, and she wondered if he was actually still looking after Gordie.

*****

"Who's the kid?"

Ace looked up from the car he was working on, as Justin stood there waiting. Ace saw his eyes were fixed on Gordie, as the small boy sat cross legged on the porch of the house, a book in his lap as he scribbled words down.

"Don't worry about it." Ace mumbled back as he looked back at the car.

"But small to be a cobra ain't he?" Justin laughed out.

"He ain't a cobra." Ace grumbled back.

"Looks a little weedy if you ask me." Justin continued to laugh as he tilted his head slightly, eyes still fixed on Gordie.

Ace sighed as he turned to Justin and growled slightly.

"Leave the kid alone." He fired out warningly.

Justin took a small step back as he held his hands up in surrender. "Chill out Merrill, just making a point."

Ace, however, didn't chill out as he just gave Justin a glare and finished the car quicker than before.

*****

"It's still nowhere near enough." Gordie grumbled dejectedly as he watched Ace shove a small wad of notes into a clear pot, with more money inside.

"Not being funny kid, I heard Aiden knocked her prices up." Ace grumbled as he sat down on the sofa and lit a cigarette.

"We can't give up though." Gordie snapped as he turned around to face Ace.