Chapter 34- Wigs, Wigs, and More Wigs

The day was bright and sunny when Maddie woke up. She woke up especially early so she could practice in her dance room, alone. She walked into the studio with her jazz shoes on and turned on the music.

She went through the motions, making sure to be sharp where she needed to, and soft in other places. If there was one thing she didn't want to do, was to be sent home.

After an hour of practicing and perfecting, Maddie took a shower to wash her hair and to get just a little cleaned up. When she stepped out of the bathroom with a cute tank top on and some skinny jeans, Kendall stood there tapping her foot.

"Hey, Kendall, what's up?" Maddie asked sheepishly.

"The past week you have been waking me up early and I haven't been getting enough sleep. I have been lazy in rehearsals. Why are you getting up this early, Mads?" Maddie rolled her eyes.

"Kendall, this competition is about winning. If I want to stay this week, I am going to have to practice. If you don't understand that, we have a big issue." Kendall gasped, but set her mouth in a firm line.

"Fine. If that is how you feel." She stormed into the bathroom, leaving Maddie dumbfounded. She shrugged and got her dance stuff ready for the day of the competition.

Maddie and Kendall weren't on speaking terms. Maddie did think she was a little snippy, but that would usually be easily fixed by a half hour after their little fight. Everyone was shocked, especially Maddie who thought the whole thing was ridiculous.

"Okay, boys, girls, I have a small surprise for your costumes. Everyone is going to have wigs. And when I say wigs, I mean big, giant, poofy afros." Everyone stared wide-eyed at Abby. Wigs?

"Let's start off with Maddie, Brooke, and Sophia." The costume was a silver sports bra with high-waisted black booty shorts. There was a long sleeve jacket that zippered only in the center. It looked really cool all put together. The girls had custom designed silver shoes.

"Chloe and Zack. Chloe, your costume is so cute!" It was a dress. There was a black sweetheart line that was covered in sequins that led to a plain black skirt. There was a mesh lime green top underneath it. Zack had a black collared shirt with a green tie. He had black pants with green stripes on them.

"Next is Paige, with her Tender Years." Paige laughed and snatched the costume. She had a simple coral high-low mesh dress with a criss-cross pattern at the top. The straps were crossed at the back.

"Next is Kendall and Jojo, with The Devil Went Down to Georgia." Their costumes were identical, except Kendall had a white costume and Jojo had a red one. They were plaid shirts. One was red and black, the other white and black. They both had blue skinny jeans and either red or white belts. Jojo smiled. She though this outfit was cute. 

"Now we have Mackenzie and Autumn. We thought long and hard about your costumes. I hope you like them." Boy, did they like them. They were baby blue unitards with a green and blue skirt over it. There was a green and blue sash connected to the skirt. 

Mackenzie studied the outfit closely. "Ms. Abby, how will this look with wigs?" She asked. Abby turned pale white but brushed it off. She knew what she was doing. 

"Well, Kenz, it'll look like we plucked you right out of the 80's, which is good. Very good."

Mackenzie nodded and went back to the her seat to wait for the group. She still didn't like the ideas of wigs, but oh well. She would deal with it. 

"Next is Asia. Almost done guys." Her costume was sparkly and purple in the front. The straps connected in the back.  Underneath was a matching sports bra. There were also matching booty shorts. There was a lot of purple.