41. Aftermath

I get home from the funeral and I can hear Miles and Scarlett laughing and falling in love, I grab everything from the car and go to walk inside but I step on something.

A letter what the fuck?

I pick it up and recognise the handwriting it's Neat and cursive, But the person who could of written this is dead.

Can we receive letters from the dead now?

I pick it up and go inside, Buddy comes running towards me and he licks my face and Scarlett comes through and hugs me Miles comes and hugs me too.

"How was it?
"Are you okay?

"I love you both but I would rather order myself some chinese and watch Netflix is that okay?

"It's more than okay I'll order you're food"

"Miles you don't know what I like"

"Wait hold on"
"Special fried rice and Vegetable fried rice with an omelette"

"Damn it one point to you"

"Okay go sit down chill out"

"I'm gonna shower first"

"Okay"

I head upstairs and my heels clink against the wood when I get upstairs I head to my bedroom I strip and get into the shower, The water burns against my skin and I jump at the feeling, I can hear Miles making my order and Scarlett begging him for kisses. I finish showering and get changed into pyjama shorts and one of my old Holden T-shirts that Miles gave me and I never gave it back.

I go downstairs and Miles sees the shirt.

"I recognise that shirt"

"It's yours, You borrowed it to me and never got it back"

"Keep it, looks good on you"

"You're funny"

"You're food should be here in 10 minutes"

"Thank you"
"Did you get something for yourselves"

"No I'm making Scarlett and I a roast you can have some if you like"

"No thanks"

I walk towards the living room when something catches my eye,

A pair of pearl earrings

No this can't be just No

I pick them up and they are cold against my skin the pearls shine in the orange glow coming from a salt lamp, I drop them and cry the person who used to wear these is dead.

No

No

No

I get up and take the earrings up stairs to my room, I put them in a box along with the letter.

She can't be doing this

Can she?

She's dead

Why is she fucking with me?

I stand up and stare at the box it's a rose pattern and it's quite small, I shove it to the back of my closet hoping to never see it again, I go downstairs and Miles has my food he hands it to me and I go to the living room.

"You okay Dani? He yells

"I'm fine I'd rather be alone right now is that okay?

"Whatever you need"

I smile and sit down on the couch until something stabs me on the ass, I jump up and check for blood but there's nothing, I put my hand in the side of the couch looking for anything and I find a small blunt knife. It's unscripted but the writing is unreadable the leather handle is worn, and the tip is blunt and doesn't hurt if I press my thumb into it,

I know this knife

She would always carry it

for self defense

But it was blunt and she would refuse to sharpen it

I got told It went down with her

What the fuck?

I put my food down on the coffee table and run upstairs, I take the box out and put the knife in I shove the box back and head back downstairs. I bump into Miles and he grabs my shoulders and looks at me,

"You sure your okay? you seem panicked"

"I'm fine Miles"
"Please don't worry"

"It's kinda hard not too Dani"
"Scar and I both care about you a lot and lately we are worried"

"Okay Dad"

He laughs and hugs me,

"Hey Dani is it okay if I stay the night?

"Yeah it's fine"
"I'd rather you here, than alone in your house"

"Why's that?

"Chase and Hugo"

"Oh right"

"Yeah"

He hugs me again and leaves for the kitchen where Scarlett is preparing the table, I go back the living room and sit down again hoping to not sit on a knife, I get my food and turn the TV on I go to Netflix and press on a random movie, I sit there watching the movie I finish and choose a new movie, Miles and Scarlett have gone up to the spare room and I can hear Scar giggling, I know what they're doing so I keep my space and stay downstairs, Buddy is laying on me with his head on my legs his warmth is comforting.

I go the kitchen to get some chocolate and Buddy stays asleep, I try to not make to much noise because I don't want the two love birds to think I'm going upstairs so they have to stop the fun. I tip toe to the kitchen and grab two bars of chocolate I can't see which ones they are but they taste amazing, I get sick of the first one so I open the second one. The movie is still playing and Buddy is still asleep on me, I open the chocolate and it has a nice smell, I pick up the smells of fruit and a spicy kind of chilli smell. I get a square and place it in my mouth Buddy wakes up and tries to get the chocolate out of my hand but I tell him to lay down and he walks towards his bed that's near the TV, He keeps his eyes on me.

I keep eating the Chocolate until It's all gone, The Chilli taste is burning in my mouth and I drink some water, I put the chocolate in the fridge and go upstairs Buddy stays downstairs as much as I try to get him to come up but he stays.

I go upstairs and Miles and Scar have gone quiet, I go to bed but fall over in the process.

I'm probably just tired

Yep that's what I'm feeling

I'm overtired

I crash in bed and the world starts to spin my head feels dizzy and my eyes roll back, I can't move and I feel like I'm stuck to the bed like super glue and all feeling in my body has vanished and suddenly the world goes dark.