112. Final straw

My hands tighten on the steering wheel my fists white, that day ruined me it ruined Mum and I hid it my whole life, I got depressed.

It was never something I talked about much but when Dad started abusing me I fell into the rabbit hole, Mum knew and she did everything to help me but nothing worked. I would take drug after drug, more alcohol but it didn't numb the pain it made it worse.

After Mum died it got worse suddenly I was living with Dad again, the house never felt the same and I hated it. One night Dad was out dealing and I went into the bathroom cupboard to find strong pain killers, Dad had them for his back pain and I took them.

I got a glass of water and I took all of them down my throat hoping for an overdose, It didn't work but I felt so sick and my mind was fogged. Dad came home and for the only time in my life helped me, he laid me down on the couch with a bucket and towel. He made his Mums soup and handed me a bowl of it with bread soldiers on the side, he turned the Tv on for me and kissed me on the top of my head.

He said 'Goodnight Miles' as he walked away to the bedroom, I saw my Dad in a good way that night and I cried all night as Mako had been taken that day, Dad didn't mention it.

My eyes focus back on the road and the anger in my body boils, I rev the 80s and change gears quickly enough my heart skips a beat I don't know where I'm going, I've lived in this town my whole life but I don't know.

I make my final decision and go to the cop station, I open the door and look at the receptionist. "Where's Chase Maverick? I ask tapping my hands on the desk.

"He's in cell 3 I'll get an officer to go in with you." She says standing up, a minute later a tall officer follows me to his cell.

Chase looks up and sees me his eyes are tired and his body slumped, he's on it again. I sit down on the bench and Chase walks around the cell his hands trembling, "I deserve this, I deserve all the pain in the world." He says punching the wall.

I stand up and he goes to take another hit but I put my arm out in-front of him and he looks at me with tears in his eyes, "Stop punching Chase, you can't get out." I say looking at him.

He breaks down in tears and leans down against the wall, "I'm so fucking sorry Miles for everything I've done, to Dani, to Scarlett. It was all set up."

He gets my attention with the last sentence, "What do you mean it was set up? I ask standing over him. Chase stands up and wipes his eyes leaning against the wall, "Charlotte came banging on my door at midnight one night, I looked through the door and saw her she was holding a yellow envelope and it was stuffed to the brim. I let her in I don't know why it was dumb I'd been drinking, she sat me down and gave me the envelope I opened it and all of Lola's rego papers came out plus photos of us as teenagers and there was everything to do with Lola all the race tapes and the spare keys. I asked her why she had this and why she was passing it onto me, she wanted me to get Lola back in that driveway."

"Lola was at Thomas's the whole time wasn't she?"

"Well that's I thought but no Thomas needed money and so did Charlotte so they fixed Lola and planted her back in the driveway, Dani fell for it and the money Dani got from those early races wasn't real, it was fake. The real money went straight into Charlotte and Thomas's bank accounts, all the money she gave to Henry was fake."

"She could go to prison for fraud." I say shaking.

"She could go for a lot more because Charlotte didn't just come to me for Lola, she asked me to ruin your life and Scarlett's."

"How?"

"She asked me to go to the city and kidnap Mako, she asked me to kill him she wanted to take the only living part of your family to the grave, I couldn't do it Miles I was there with you when that kid was born, I held you while you cried Mate."