Chapter 13

Margaret

Ace took out a cigarette pack and offered me one. I snickered at that.

"First you save me, walk me home, and now you are offering me a cigarette.  Someone would have said that you were a gentleman."

Cigarettes in Rintalis were not cancerous, but the kind he was offering to me was on the expensive side, and these ones smelled like chocolate when smoked.

Offended, he furrowed his brow. I may have decided to delay what I needed to do, but I still wanted to make him feel at least a bit of humiliation that I felt at his office. Retaliation in the form of petty, sly remarks felt irresistible to me right now. 

"What do you mean?"

"I am just wondering about the sudden change in attitude."

He moved the pack near his mouth, taking the one that was sticking out with his lips.

"I am not sure what you think of me, but I am not a monster Margaret." 

I wondered why did he have a need in stating that he was a monster. I knew that he was, but I never said that. Maybe he was aware of how rotten he was.

"I didn't say you were, I was just stating the obvious."

I proceeded to take out a small pack of cigarettes, pulling one out and putting it in my mouth. I took a deep inhale and exhaled the smoke.

"Why did you offer the job? I thought I was mediocre for your highness?"

I liked the prospect of asking a question through humor, but I will not lie that I was intrigued by the move.

"You have a lot of presumptions about me, Margaret. Did you expect not to have been accepted?"

"Would anyone?"

He paused and for some reason, he was scanning my face. Even though the street light was not as strong as usual, I could see the caution in his eyes, but still, a level of curiosity. Every time he would take a puff, I noticed his hands- carved with visible veins, beautiful long fingers, and clean, short nails.

"I would rather not talk business after work hours Margaret. If you are to accept the work proposal, you need to keep that in mind."

His voice was pleasant and smooth. If he were not my target, I would not mind listening to him talk for hours. If only he didn't put me on edge with each word he spoke. 

I need to keep my cool.

Clearing up my throat, I proceeded to talk.

"Oh? But I am curious. What impressed you about me? Come on, wouldn't you indulge a lady?" I nudged with my elbow. 

Observing my gesture, then my face, he changed his previously gentle face to the more stern one.

"I don't see the reason why I would explain my decision to you. If you decide to accept it, I may or may not tell you that."

 We walked in silence for 5 minutes with only my heels and the cars passing by making sounds, then he interrupted.

"Are you sure you are okay?"

"Yeah, I am. Where did you learn to fight like that?" If I were any braver and more capable, I could kill him right now-  a thought shortly interrupted by another- would that really be okay of me? He ran to my rescue, and if anything, he earned his life today. Killing him today would make me a monster, instead of him.

I knew the answer to that already but I felt the need to diverge his attention to something else, other than me.

"It wasn't really a fight. I just approached the man from the back and gave him a good punch that knocked him out. And, there was much more going on that you missed, but I cannot discuss such topics with a lady."

Resisting an attempt to roll my eyes at I cannot discuss such topics with a lady I pressed on. 

"Right, but an ordinary person would probably not leave much damage. You, on the other hand, killed the man with one punch, using only your hands."

I would not allow him to gaslight me. I knew what I saw, however, asking more about it would possibly raise more alarms if those didn't already go off. Why wouldn't he tell me what I already know? 

He didn't respond to that, my nervousness filling the silence for us.

"Well, I suppose that you are quite talented then."

"Yeah, I suppose. "

I couldn't let him discover my real location, so naturally, I led him to a different building 15 minutes away from me. I was really hoping that he wouldn't persist in walking me to the door, otherwise, I would have been screwed.  Finally, I stopped and reached my hand out for a shake.

 "Thank you for your help Mr. Mountague. I really do appreciate it."

"My pleasure." Firmly gripping my hand, he smiled at me earnestly. 

"My apartment is just up there." I broke eye contact.

I pointed to a building in front of us.

"So...will you accept?" Perhaps the only moment he allowed a glimpse of his genuine uncertainty since I met him. Didn't know he was capable of that.

"The offer still stands?"

"Why not? Whatever happens after hours, stays after hours. " 

Dumbfounded, I was about to stutter with my words. Clearing my throat, I produced an answer.

"I will send you a response soon."

"No problem." He tucked his hands in his pockets. 

"Good night."

"Good night, Margaret." With a smile, he turned on his heel, disappearing from my view. As he did, I paced back to my true address. To say that the day was long was an understatement. 

I made myself some mint tea and sat by my computer.

The sweet aroma hugged my nostrils, transporting me back to a particular moment in my childhood. It was unusually cold for late August, and I had just come home to the smell of freshly baked bread, and mint tea. My grandmother would put a hand on my head, telling me that I should go get changed, and to a child, that didn't mean anything especially when said child is high on adrenaline from running in the field. After refusing to change, just because, I would eventually give up, and then she would reward me with jam on warm bread, and tea. Sinking my teeth into the warm crust..filling me with delight.. probably the happiest moment of my life.

Things were much simpler then.

I stared at the computer and the offer. I felt sorry for him. He is an asshole, and incredibly dangerous but he was capable of being kind too.

However, no one felt sorry for my Maryam. Especially not the system that Ace is a part of. If it weren't for Ace, and people like him, my daughter would have still been alive. That train of thought brought me back to reality, and by taking two anti-depressants, I knew I needed to steel my resolve.

"I accept your proposal." I wrote and sent it to him. Minutes later he replied.

"Good. Did you arrive safely at your apartment?"

Why do you care?

" Yes." Short reply. 

"I will see you tomorrow at 8 sharp. Be ready."