Chapter 71

Ace

Luckily, Maryam was the last one at the checkup, which gave me an opportunity to disconnect the chip reading device from the network.

It was my chance to show myself that I was still capable of doing something right. Not only because I owed it to Margaret, but I owed it to myself the most.

Especially because I was about the develop a device that will kill millions. 

"So...what is the progress on our project? "

Obvious remains of annoyance indicated on his furrowed brow.

"We will take at least 10 people per week, as I need 50 as our starting group. It would not raise an alarm if we kept it at that steady rate. Then the development would take at least 3 months, and then we would need a test phase 2, with a larger group of people. So... "

"Hold up..so you are saying that it would take almost half a year to do this? "

"Well yes... it takes time, especially a project of this magnitude. The brain of an adult can only take so much, and it will squash under the pressure of Lilith. We will be lucky if 20 percent of people remain unscathed. "

"And what about the children? "

"..."

"The children? "

"Correct me if I am wrong, but...children's brains are still developing. So, they might be more...flexible. "

I didn't realize how hard I was clenching my jaw, or how tightly I closed my fists up.

"In theory yes...but... sir that is ...immoral. I...do not want to do this. "

"Come on... don't talk to me about morals. You didn't mind it when you agreed to the fat check that got deposited in your bank account. And what do you mean we? Do you mean if YOU were caught? The government does not and WILL not be associated with this project. Do you understand? If this is to be found out, well...I am sure that you know the consequences. "

My lungs felt like they are going to burst if I didn't let the scream of exasperation.

"Well do you understand? "

His men were ready to draw whatever weapon they had.

"Yes...sir. "

What have I become?

"I expect next time I come here, that the initial phase of testing is done. "

"Very well. " I uttered and with that, he left.