Chapter 19

Margaret

I have been working for him for a week now, and except for my first day when I broke down, our interactions were purely professional, hello, goodbye, and work-related things, even though I thought he was going to make my life hell. He insisted that I meet him after work on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays to provide a report on any suspicious activities. I was to provide a list of who went in and out, and even during the elevator rides, I was to tell him if I overheard anything worth noting. 

What's worse, the bounty increased twofold, and with it, the penalty.

I had a perfect opportunity back in the park, and even now, I haven't had the courage to do it. It was Wednesday today, which meant he would go right back home.

Maybe, he would truly deliver on his promise to find out where my daughter's body was buried. 

"Are you done with work?" He asked.

"Yes, I am."

"Great. Come with me."

"Where and why?"

"I need to show you something."

We both stood in the elevator now and were going into the basement levels. -15 was the floor we exited.

We walked in towards a large room, that had wall-sized screens which were showing a picture of random people, and a percentage for something. All of their thoughts were listed, and there was a timer next to it.

"My son was killed, even though he didn't do anything wrong! I will throw bombs on Lilith and whoever made it."

"I hate the government! I was raped and they had put the anti-abortion law! It's as if they want us to suffer."

I read only a couple. 

"What do these percentages mean?" I asked Ace.

"Percentages are ratings of the thoughts, or how dangerously close they are to be executed. And the timer next to some of them is basically a countdown of when...well, I am sure you can figure it out."

"As in the time they got left?"

"Correct."

He spoke about it as a matter of fact.

"And you have no problem with that?"

Ace turned around and spoke in a low voice, almost as a growl.

"I am not here to discuss the moralities of Lilith. I am here as I promised that I would help you."

I was blaming him for not doing anything to change the situation, but I was just the same. We both, to some extent, profited off the system. Aware of my cynicism, I still blamed the software because for the outcome of my life and my decisions. If it didn't exist, I would not be doing what I was doing, so I stood in defiance with my arms crossed.